Subaru Automatic Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've finally two automatic transmissioned Subarus (after having manuals most all the time in the past). I miss shifting, but, couldn't find a 2006 or 2007 manual Legacy Sedan to save my life.

My question is: What auto transmission fluid has a good reputation in these autos? I plan on putting SF's HDS-5 in the differential (and I believe the transfer case also uses it...I'll have to check again to make sure), after break-in is complete.

Second part of the question, are these transmissions known to be stout or finicky?

TIA...

We have logged approximately 200k miles on the 4EAT in our 99 outback. Honestly I absolutely despise the way it shifts, but it has been rock solid.

I have been using Mobil Dexron III and OEM spin-on filters about every 30k.

I have an 05 Forester and the manual clearly specifies Dexron III. Shortly after delivery I attended a dealer "owner orientation(or something)" meeting and was told it required a new Subaru ATF. A bottle was on exhibit so I enquired ***. The manager said it was a new Subaru policy but I could use what the manual specified and not void my warranty. Very gracious of him.
My suspicion then and now is that it is simply a tactic to enhance sales and they were probably envious of others like Toyota and Honda.

Just to clarify, there is nothing wrong with the tranny, nothing rough or unusual, I simply hate the software that controls it, and I always have. It insists on shifting into 2nd at about 4 MPH unless I have my foot on the floor, and it also shifts into 3rd if the brakes are at all applied on a downhill slope. I have gotten into the habbit of just shifting down into 3rd rather than touch the brakes on less severe hills, as it's going to shift regardless.

I can't speak to the requirements of the newer models, just my experience with our 99. I paid about $1 a quart for several cases of the Mobil Dexron III, so I take advantage of the drain plug and change it fairly often.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The all new Subes with 4/5 speed autos take the Nissam Matic J equivalent - they do not take Dexron III!!!

I have an '06 outback....

The frictional properties of Matic J and Dexron III are quite similar, per Lubegard's Technical Support Dept. However, only a full synthetic Dexron III may be substituted.

The all new Subes with 4/5 speed autos take the Nissam Matic J equivalent - they do not take Dexron III!!!

I have an '06 outback....

Yep, I actually read in the 06 as well as the 07 Owner's manual if Dexron III were used, the transmission would become noisy and rough...it was only to be used in emergencies.

Don't bother with DexronIII unless you plan on mixing in the Smartblend or Lubegard.

Just use one of the blend or full synth multivehicle ATF's for your services.

I believe the Nissan Matic J, or equivalent is a low viscosity fluid - about 6.0 Cst @ 100C, vs 7.2-7.5 Cst for Dexron III - and that's why they don't want you using Dexron III. I discussed this issue with Amsoil technical services and they have specifically recommended AGAINST using their universal synthetic fluid in this application.

Until I see a spec sheet for a type "J" ATF I'm not going to deviate from the OEM spec.

TS

No, its not a thin MPG. Castrol Transmax-J, Pennzoil ATF-J, and Idemitsu HP are HFM'd synthetic blends. Cottman sells the HP($4 a quart case increment + shipping). Good luck finding the Castrol(overseas only). You might be able to find the Pennzoil-J at a distributor.

Any of the blend and full synthetic multivehicle ATFs should work well. If you detect shudder after an ATF change, reset the TCM(try the battery disconnect overnight method), and dose a little smartblend or lubegard.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I believe the Nissan Matic J, or equivalent is a low viscosity fluid - about 6.0 Cst @ 100C, vs 7.2-7.5 Cst for Dexron III - and that's why they don't want you using Dexron III. I discussed this issue with Amsoil technical services and they have specifically recommended AGAINST using their universal synthetic fluid in this application.

Until I see a spec sheet for a type "J" ATF I'm not going to deviate from the OEM spec.

TS

The 4EAT unit used in the Outback has been in use for many years. Up until the introduction of the proprietary Subaru ATF, these units were filled with Dexron III.

Valvoline MaxLife ATF and Castrol Multi-Vehicle ATF are both recommended for use in Matic J applications, yet are formulated @ 7.5cst.

I have a 99 Forester w/ auto tranny. I recently had a shop do a drain & fill with one if those exchange machines (tranny/torque converter capacity is 9.8 quarts and they ran thru 14 quarts total). The original fluid only had @ 25,750 miles on it (low mileage car that belonged to my parents), but I was concerned about the age of the fluid.

The shop uses Pennzoil brand which meets or exceeds specs for Dexron III-Mercon which is what my Subaru calls for. I haven't noticed anything different between the shifting characteristics before and after the fluid change.

That's very interesting...I'm aware of the earlier Dexron III recommendation, but thought that was for another transmission. Having to use the Matic J fluid is the only thing that was bugging me about the design of the Outback so far.

I'll have another conversation with the Amsoil Tech services guys and see what they say.

BTW Mike, Amsoil does recommend their "EAO-12" oil filter for this transmission application and I will be switching to those.

TS

WHERE is an oil filter, or any filter for that matter, installed on the Outback trans? Is this a mod?

Thanks.

The filter spins on to the transmission housing right in front of the transmission oil pan, on the drivers side of the car. It's oriented horizontally, but the one on my Outback is black and hard to see.

TS

I have one on my 06 Forester, I assume one is on the Legacy...I just haven't crawled that far under it, yet! I'm certainly going to be changing it at some point, this Legacy is a car I'll be traveling in extensively, and I need it to get 200,000 miles before replacing it. I think it can do it fine...mostly hwy miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back