Okay to mix conventional and synthetic transmission oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Ford Focus Wagon with Zetec DOHC engine with 104k miles. I am planning on exchanging the fluid and one of my friends suggested putting a synthetic fluid in rather than the standard transmission fluid. Since it is just an exchange and not a complete flush would there be any problems with the two fluids mixing? Any thoughts on which synthetic to use? Thank you!!!

There shouldn't be any problems mixing fluid. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline, and Royal Purple ATF are compatible with other conventional and synthetic ATFs. Amsoil ATF is my choice, and there is a lot of positive feedback from those who use Mobil 1 ATF. I haven't read too many reports of people using Royal Purple or Redline ATF, so I cannot comment on them.

What are the fluid specs for that transmission? Mercon V?

Thanks your help. Unfortunetely, I don't have the manual in front of me, so I don't recall what Ford's specs are.

By the way -- any idea how much oil is actually left in the car if you just drop the pan and drain? Assuming the car is properly warmed up . . .

gieskj01, it's kind of hard to give you an accurate answer as transmissions vary with their drain capacity. Amsoil's product guide (which should be pretty close to the manufacturer's specs) shows the total fill for the transmission as being 7 quarts. Check your manual when you can to see if there is an initial/drain capacity. If it is a total of 7 quarts for a full flush, then I would guess 2-4 quarts for just a drain and refill.

[ July 05, 2006, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: ConfederateTyrant ]

Is this an automatic or manual transmission?

Don't buy any fluid without knowing the required specs.

Its perfectly ok to mix fluids.

Fluid capacity is easy to determine. Pull drain plug. Measure amount removed.

My 2k Focus requires Mercon V. Your '01 is probably the same. WM is carrying M1 multi vehicle, as well as Valvo Maxlife. Either would be fine. I have run the factory fill, older M1 DexIII, Quaker Multi Vehicle, and currently have AA Multi Vehicle in the slushbox. No differences with any of them in 111,000 miles.

Mercon V is a synthetic blend. There may be a bit of an improvement in shifting when you first start driving when it's below freezing. You could also go longer between fluid changes.

If you haven't ever had the fluid changed you will notice a difference with whatever you put in.

Mercon V is a spec, it says nothing whatsoever about the basestocks used.
There are dino Mercon V, blends, and full synthetics that are rated Mercon V.

-- It's a automatic transmission.

So is there an opinion on if it is even worth putting synthetic in? Would there be a noticible improvement?

Thanks for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back