94 Grand Marquis 4.6 L ATx- how many quarts should siphon out? And fluid- Mercon V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a preventative measure, I'd like to siphon out transmission fluid through the dipstick tube on dear old Mom's 94 Mercury Grand Marquis & replace that amount with fresh fluid. About how many quarts could I expect to remove like that? Four? Seven?
dunno.gif
I figure a little fresh fluid(& maybe a dab of LC) couldn't hurt.

From reading other posts here I suspect it would be best to refill with Mercon V fluid. True, or should I consider something else?

Thanks, I'll defintely use Mercon V fluid.

But: there's no way I'm gonna drop the pan on a trans that's working fine & not even my car!
wink.gif
I'll settle for whatever I can siphon out- if that's only a couple of quarts, so be it.

My estimate would be 4-5 quarts. Ford 4R70W transmissions remove 5 quarts with a pan drop, but you may not remove all 5 quarts via dipstick extraction.

I would continue to extract 4-5 quarts from the dipstick tube and refill with new Mercon-V at the next three oil changes.

Use a Mercon-V approved fluid...I found out that Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle is actually Mercon-V approved.

I would use Auto-RX over LC, personally, as it'd probably do more cleaning.

My 1995 Grand Marquis removed 3.5-4 quarts through a pan drop and filter change, according to my Hayne's manual, and wikipedia, I have a 4R70W transmission. Mercon V fluid will do fine, if price is not an issue, run an Auto-RX run, then flush the entire system with a synthetic fluid, like Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back