Automatic Transmission Fluid - Wrong Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

My car has a automatic ZF transmission that was filled with Esso ATF LT 71141 from the factory.

I took my car in for a fluid change and the service center filled it with Texaco ETL 7045. So now I have about 4 liters of the Texaco stuff mixed with 4 liters of the Esso fluid.

Does anyone know what kind of damage this could do to my transmission and if it's a big deal? Looking at the specs for my transmission, it says thats the use of any other fluid other than the Esso will result in premature transmission failure. I'm hoping that they're kidding. What should I do?

Before you're deluged with "you'll shoot your eye out, kid" warnings, do you have any symptoms of issues? Any problems with converter lock up? Any difference in the shifting quality? Now, sure, the absence of any symptoms doesn't assure that you're not hurting your trans ..but imagine if you were a little more numb and unaware .....and nothing happened
dunno.gif

edit: I don't know squat about the ZF trans (and according to some ..any other automatic).

Wow, that is nice of the shop to do that. What is the name of the shop? I also wonder where they are going to get that ESSO fluid. It is difficult to find in small quantities.

That is the same fluid as Audi recommends as well. I agree that the lifetime fluid is not a lifetime fluid and it should be changed as youi have done.

I researched this same topic as I wanted to change out the fluid (there is no filter at least in the CVT unit), and the Esso is VERY pricey. Hmm, maybe that's why you got the Texaco brand?

Bottom line is that I could not find any recommended long-term substitutions, and for the high cost of the ZF, I decided better not to dink around with something else.

Oh no, they used the wrong lifetime fill
shocked.gif

If it is a lifetime fill, why'd you bother changing it
confused.gif

Is the GM lifetime fill as good as the ZF lifetime fill
dunno.gif

If the transmission functions normally, there should be no damage. Both fluids are so-called lifetime fills.
As long as you practice sensible ATF changes, your tranny should last a long time(some ZF's will die no matter what fluid or maintenance internal).

The car is an '02 bmw 330ci.

ZF themselves they recommend that the fluid be changed at least every 60,000 miles. They were very surprised when they heard bmw was claiming it was "lifetime" fluid. Thats why I decided to get my fluid changed.

Right now everything works fine, but I've only put like 10 miles on the car since I got it back. What I was worried about is the long term consequences of having a different lubricant in. Instead of having the fluid changed and getting peacee of mind, I worry more than ever, lol.

Anyways, I talked with the shop this morning and sent them an email explaining myself and attached the ZF transmission charts. They aknowledged it was an error filling up with the Texaco and have agreed to drain/flush my car until all of the old fluid is out and to refill with the correct fluid.

Using the wrong ATF can cause either of these two things to happen:

1) Transmission won’t function, i.e. won’t shift.

2) Transmission functions but, there’s loss of power, jerky-shifting, slippage, and premature wear & tear.

No. 2 can happen when Dexron III is used in a transmission that requires SP III, for example.

1) Texaco 7045E is Dexron-III.
2) Esso LT71141 is similar to Dexron-III in terms of friction modification as I was told by the Lubegard people.

#1 and #2 and supposedly "superior" to normal Dexron-III in some way.

FWIW, FazerZ on this site rebuilds VW transmissions at his shop in NC, and uses Dexron-III in these transmissions without issues and has found it to work better than the OE fluid.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back