Gearbox oil for Toro 2-stage snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual calls for a GL-5 or GL-6 SAE 85-95 EP transmission oil (NOT a synthetic). What is a recommended product and is Wal-Mart likely to have it, or should I look at Auto Zone or elsewhere? Thanks.

An odd recommendation.

The EP designation suggests they are looking for a suspended solid in the oil ... maybe something like molybdeum disulphide?

In short, I'd go withe the Red Line Shockproof oil that most closely matches the weight above ... probably a 75W-90.

You can get it at myoilshop.com

I wouldn't worry about conventional vs. synthetic in this application if I were you. Too many manufacturers have "ignorance issues" when it comes to "synthetic" arguments.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

There may be nothing wrong with the synthetic per se, but actually I was looking for something I could use-keep on hand just to make sure the gear oil is "topped off". If I go with the syn, I should probably drain the existing factory fill and put pure syn in it. Yes or no?

look for lubrimatic gear oil, which is for boat outdrives. walmart usually has it, doubt autozone or any auto store will carry it. Boat stores- west marine or boatUS or boater's world will definitely have it. For a snowblower which sees a lot of water and may get water in the gearcase, this type oil does really well when mixed with water. there's standard 90 weight gear oil, and hypoid oil. They come in qts, and in 10oz tubes which would be convenient for topping up.
 -

-

What is the difference between standard 90 weight and hypoid 90...and what difference would it make to a snowblower gearbox? Are both equally suitable? Thanks.

The difference should be the additive package. I think the snowblower is calling for the heaviest additive package possible ... hence the "EP" (extreme pressure) designation.

Are you sure it's 85W-95? The 95 makes it a real oddball. Most gear oils are either 75W-90, 80W-90 (mineral) or 85W-140.

That's why I'd still go with the Red Line "Shockproof" product. I believe it is loaded with molybdenum disulphide ... a suspended solid EP agent. There should be a VOA somewhere in the VOA section.

I can't comment on the Lubrimatic products.

My second choice would be Specialty Formulations ... and ask them which of their oils they'd recommend.

I changed the gear oil in our new Ariens after just 8-10 hours and I was glad I did as it was filled with silvery bits.

--- Bror Jace

"Are you sure it's 85W-95? The 95 makes it a real oddball. Most gear oils are either 75W-90, 80W-90 (mineral) or 85W-140."

Yes, that's an exact quote. So far I've found a 75w90 mineral lube that wasn't EP (can't use), a 75w90 EP syn (not supposed to use), and a mineral EP lube which had no viscosity listed at all (not going to chance it). Would prefer not to mail order. Will keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back