toyota tacoma auto trans oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new 2005 Toyota Tacoma l4 engine auto transmission has no drain plug in the pan or dip stick for checking the level. The manual says the oil in the transmission is good for the life of the vehicle. Should I worry?

"life of the vehicle" = length of powertrain warranty. If the factory ATF was really good for life, then Toyota should replace the transmission if it ever fails, regardless of mileage.

I suggest you do some research & find out how to change the fluid & filter at some point in the future.

quote:

Originally posted by harryb:
My new 2005 Toyota Tacoma l4 engine auto transmission has no drain plug in the pan or dip stick for checking the level. The manual says the oil in the transmission is good for the life of the vehicle. Should I worry?

Oh man I didn't think yota would jump onto that bandwagon!
pat.gif
My 2002 isuzu rodeo with a GM 4L30E AT is the same way. They've been so since 1996-97. You probably would be okay to over 100Kmi with light use, but I'd change the ATF every 30-40Kmi anyway. It's a PITA, but you will find seperate drain and fill plugs under there.
G/luck
Joel

Find it, if you can. I have one of those same tranny's as JTK mentioned, I wouldn't DREAM of going for the "life of the vehicle" theory.

Yep, Toyota jumped on the bandwagon for lifetime fill ATFs. They didn't change the fluid recommendation at all, they still spec the Toyota T-IV ATF.

However, they suggest a change at 60K I think if the truck is used to tow.

The best way to change the fluid IMO is to use a T-Tech machine to do a tranny fluid exchange thru the cooler lines.

Jiffy Lube, YES Jiffy Lube will do it with the excellent GrpIII Pennzoil or Quaker State Multi-Vehicle ATF for $99.

Mike

quote:

I hope toyota doesnt charge $500 like volkswagon does for their so called long life atfs.

quote:

Originally posted by TRDUSA2002:

quote:

I hope toyota doesnt charge $500 like volkswagon does for their so called long life atfs.

No worries. They still spec Toyota T-IV ATF, which is widely avaliable at Toyota dealers for $4-$5/qt.
smile.gif

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:

quote:

quote:

No worries. They still spec Toyota T-IV ATF, which is widely avaliable at Toyota dealers for $4-$5/qt.
smile.gif

Michael

They have a new one called WS-ATF used in 2004 and up Lexus LS430s, the 06 GS and IS, and any 6 speed application, and i also heard WS-ATF is speced on the new Tundra/Sequoia and 4Runner.

quote:

Originally posted by nthach:

quote:

quote:

quote:

smile.gif

Michael

They have a new one called WS-ATF used in 2004 and up Lexus LS430s, the 06 GS and IS, and any 6 speed application, and i also heard WS-ATF is speced on the new Tundra/Sequoia and 4Runner.

I checked and the Tacoma still specs T-IV. Yes, you're correct that some of the new ones spec WS-ATF, but I double checked and the Tacoma is not one of them.

Mike

quote:

... Jiffy Lube, YES Jiffy Lube will do it with the excellent GrpIII Pennzoil or Quaker State Multi-Vehicle ATF for $99.

Mike

Can one really safely use these generic ATFs in a ZF box for which ESSO is specified? I wish I knew ...

Also, don't we need to drop the pan periodically for sludge cleanup and filter replacement?

By the way, I know a reputable local transmission shop which will pan-drop service a ZF for less than $300, not $500.

quote:

Originally posted by John_E:

quote:

... Jiffy Lube, YES Jiffy Lube will do it with the excellent GrpIII Pennzoil or Quaker State Multi-Vehicle ATF for $99.

Mike

Can one really safely use these generic ATFs in a ZF box for which ESSO is specified? I wish I knew ...

Also, don't we need to drop the pan periodically for sludge cleanup and filter replacement?

By the way, I know a reputable local transmission shop which will pan-drop service a ZF for less than $300, not $500.

John,
Pennzoil/Quaker State Multi-Vehicle ATF works in any Esso LT71141ATF application, but it is of a pink color instead of yellow. Thus, I suggest waiting until you're out of warranty before doing a complete flush with the Esso fluid.

Also, World Impex.com has the OEM Esso LT71141ATF from VW for $15/L, and the Pan Gasket kit for $10-$15.

As for the Toyota goes, I don't think buildup or sludge will be an issue as the fluid should keep the system quite clean, and there is little manufacturing debris nowdays anyway.

Mike

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by nthach:

quote:

quote:

quote:

smile.gif

Michael

I checked and the Tacoma still specs T-IV. Yes, you're correct that some of the new ones spec WS-ATF, but I double checked and the Tacoma is not one of them.

Mike

I'm slightly incorrect:

The 4-speed Auto in the Tacoma still specs Toyota T-IV, but the 5-speed now specs Toyota World Standard (WS) fluid. Sorry for the misinformation.

Michael

quote:

The manual says the oil in the transmission is good for the life of the vehicle. Should I worry?

Not worry, but maybe at about 50,000 miles take a sample of the warm ATF and send it to a testing lab. For $20 you'll get a report that says either to flush and renew it, or to keep it in and save your money. The WS ATF IS a very long life product.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

quote:

The manual says the oil in the transmission is good for the life of the vehicle. Should I worry?

Not worry, but maybe at about 50,000 miles take a sample of the warm ATF and send it to a testing lab. For $20 you'll get a report that says either to flush and renew it, or to keep it in and save your money. The WS ATF IS a very long life product.

Ken

why not at 25 just to be safe.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

quote:

Ken

why not at 25 just to be safe.

Why not just do a drain/refill at 50-60K? The fluid only costs $40-$45/gal from the dealer, and the Tacoma takes 3.2 qts per drain/refill.

Not that the analysis is a waste of money, but changing the fluid is a more practical approach from a financial standpoint.

Michael

Why not do a flush by using the tranny cooler lines. There must be a plug on the side of the tranny for checking the fluid level and refilling.

-Disconnect the cooler supply line and direct it into a bucket.
-Run vehicle until two quarts come out
-Top up ATF
-Repeat.

Gee...if you do a flush, I guess that'll take 12 quarts of fluid, which will cost $126 at $42/gal.
shocked.gif

I think one drain/refill every 30-50K is enough, but thats JMO.

[ November 01, 2005, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Michael Wan ]

My 2002 isuzu rodeo with a GM 4L30E AT is the same way.

BMW also used that trans in the 1990s and called the fluid "lifetime", about a 100,000mile "lifetime" for the whole transmission!

I have a 2005 Tundra with the 5-speed AT. I cannot find any service interval in the owners manual. I hope this WS fluid will be available by the time my powertrain warranty expires.

Probably overkill but my moms 96 trooper has that 4l30E and since about 50k ive taken it to the dealer every 10 to 12k for a flush because it dosent have a dipstick for me to add or check!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!
It does have drain plugs but im not about to drain and not be able to get the correct amount back in through that upside down fill plug!!
This is a 4x4 and has 152k with no problems so far.
I wonder if theres a way for me to adapt a dipstick from a 95 that had the same tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back