'95 K1500 fluid capacity for f/r diff's, trans pan, and x-fer case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been posting questions recently about my new (to me) '95 GMC z-71 w/ 350TBI, 4l60e trans, manual x-fer case, and 3.73 locking rear diff. It has 166k miles and all original fluids (except engine oil, PS fluid and coolant).

Questions...

What is pan capacity for transmission?

What is front and rear diff capacity?

What is x-fer case capacity?

I am using Wally SuperTech DexIII for the trans and a new filter. I will drain and refill three times then dump a bottle and 1/2 of Red Bottle LubeGuard.

For the x-fer case, I will use Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

For the front and rear diff's, Valvoline Durablend 80-90w GL5 semi-syn.

What do you guys think of fluid choice and do yall know the capacities?

Thanks!

I just did all of this.

According to the Chilton's shop manual I have:

Trans: You probably have the 4L60E - 10 Pts.

X-Fer Case: 2.5 - 4.5 Pts depending on which one you have there's 4, and I don't know which the manual transfer case is.

Front Diff (K1500-2500)--> 3.5 Pts (K3500)-->4.4 Pts

Rear Diff: From 4.2 to 5.5 Pts depending on which diff you have. Buy extra for filling diffs and return what you don't use. Filling the front diff is a bit of a hassle and gets messy just because of where the fill hole is located.

Also, consider drilling and tapping a drain hole for your rear diff. It doesn't have one (at least my '98 k1500 with a 14 bolt rear end didn't). It beats removing and resealing the diff cover every time. I did this on my trail vehicle and it makes diff fluid changes a breeze. Well worth the time.

My mental conversion says......

front diff = 1.75 quarts

rear diff = 2.25 quarts

and I was thinking 5 quarts in the trans pan and you said 10 pints, so good deal.

Thanks JIM 5

Hmm..

Let me check my book again tonight. The diffs sound right, but I want to check the trans again.

10 quarts sounds more accurate for the trans...10 pints sounds like not enough.

jim, I think the trans total capacity is 15 quarts,a dn the pan holds 5 of the 15,

when you did your trans service, how old was the fluid? Mine is 166k miles old.

Mine was 48k miles. I try to do it between 40-50k miles. Diffs at about 30k miles

I just checked Haynes manual. 5quarts for a 4l60E when draining trans and replacing filter. It just seems hard to believe. I always thought they were in the range of around 10 quarts.

That's Hayne's and Chilton's that both agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back