Auto-Trak II replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no replacement from any source, yet. Amsoil I believe is working on a reverse engineer but when it could be available is unknown.

GM proprietary formulation they are not sharing.

btw-There is no need to change it unless you suspect contamination.

Its made in Canada, I have a bottle of it and thats on the bottle.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
There is no need to change it unless you suspect contamination.

I've already had it changed once under warranty for the shudder on low-speed turns issue, but I thought it would be good to change every 30,000 or so, like the ATF, just to avoid problems in future.

Shudder on low speed turns in 4wd or in auto mode?

If you are in 2 wheel drive, the transfer case will not do anything to cause shudder.

What year is the vehicle?

I have had a 1999, 2001 and now a 2004 GMC 4x4 Z71 E.Cab and no problems with shudder. Other things that could cause a shudder on turns, G80 locking rear axle (contaminated fluid) or operating in 4x4 on hard surfaces.

Depending on the model year, pre 2000 it would not have the AutoTrax II in it and that would worth changing. For a while, GM had a service bulletin out to change this lube but have since recinded it as they found out that was not a problem as was thought and also the fact that they switched over to the new fluid in production sometime in the 2000 model year. I don't have that info any longer..

Mike, the vehicle in question is a 2001 GMC Safari AWD, and I was merely following the TSB when I had the transfer case fluid changed...I know you said it's been recinded, but changing the fluid DID fix the problem for me. I was just asking about an alternative fluid for regular preventative maintenance...

Mola, thanks for the info, but since the van doesn't belong to me, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a fluid that's "close"...I'd want an "authorised" equivalent.

Not to slam your VAN but we had a some of these several years at work (when the bean counters thought the would save a bunch of $$ over 4x4 suburbans). Everyone had trans/AWD problems but of course we abused them. Used for survey crew rigs, different drivers, towing trailers, and constant everyday use. I drove one as a loaner once and it made more clunks, funny noises and wierd AWD reactions. I was using if offroad at lot driving out to remote GPS marks. Give me the suburban 4x4 any day over the Astro/Safari soccer mom vans. To be fair, the Ford AWD vans had worse problems, many of them were pulled off-lease long before they supposed to because of the repairs exceeded the residual valve.

I guess they are not made for the rough work and hard miles we used them for. 100,000 miles in 3-4 yrs

Autotrak fluid is specific to the x-case. Grabbiness, clunkiness, and shudder are eliminated when using the autotrac fluid when compared to ATF's.
The question is whether GM is using a synth basestock or not. Seems to have a huge "markup" at the dealer.
I know that some shops will use ATF with various levels of fluid converter like lubegard/runrite/smartblend. But, the dose is 2-4 times higher then the typical 1 ounce per quart used with ATF in automatics.

I would think that a good HFM'd synthetic might work well in the transfer case. But, if you're not happy with the feel of 4wd/AWD...., then either stick with autotrak fluid or add HFM additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back