Lucas HD oil stabilizer to stop a minor rear axle seal leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had the rear axle seals & rear axle lubricant (MC 75w140 synthetic) replaced on my wife's '97 Expedition with 114k miles. The shop that did the work has done work for me in the past & I trust that they did the job right. But for some reason, the pass. side axle seal that was leaking still seems to be leaking (just a little).

Would it be an awful thing to add a little Lucas Heavy Duty oil stabilizer to the gear oil to try & slow/stop the leak? The Lucas bottle says it can help to stop leaks in rear ends. I have access to a boatload of this stuff, at no cost to me. What say the BITOGers?

Add it or preferably the synthetic version and see if it helps.
If not, then you'll have to fix the true cause of the problem.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
My advice is to try and condition the seals with ARX first before adding anything Lucas.

Would I have to replace the gear oil after the ARX had "conditioned" the seals?

Hi Wayne I have seen your name on the ford truck forum. I just did my 99 EXPY seals and if you do not really clean the axle housing or the retainer, backing plate etc there maybe a drip or so "left" over I'd clean the backing plate real good and drive it a couple days and recheck it maybe just OLD lube.
Also I used redline which has a seal swell/conditoning additive that other syns may not have.
PS My 93 bronco 195K on it has never leaked has only DINO 80/90.
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
Well, guess it depends on how recently recently is/.

If within the warranty period, I'd take it back and let them do it again to get it right.

worshippy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
My advice is to try and condition the seals with ARX first before adding anything Lucas.

Would I have to replace the gear oil after the ARX had "conditioned" the seals?

I've done about 75 sets of those seals and found on some at a later inspection that they were weeping. I started using a thin bead of anerobic sealer around the outside of the seal where it presses into the axle tube and never had a problem again. I have also seen slightly tweeked axles cause chronic seal leaks. Running the vehicle on the rack and watching runout on the hub will point it out quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back