Rear end dope

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad always called rear differential fluid "rear end dope". Where did that term come from, & when did folks stop calling it "dope"?

Must be a localized thing. I am from the south and no one in our family ever called it anything but rear-end-gear lube.

maybe its because of the funny feeling you get when youve breathed in a few too many of the lube's vapors...

JMH

technically it's slang.

dope is a somewhat generic term for "stuff" (noun). Since oil is "stuff", i guess it qualifies as dope....

When I worked in a computer factory in the 70s the shop workers had 4 separate meanings for the word "pookie":

1) silicon heat xfer compound or heatsink pookie;
2) CRT yoke magnet rubber cement (aka gorilla snot) or magnet pookie;
3) a 2 part epoxy adhesive or Devcon pookie;
4) silicone RTV/potting compound or potting pookie.

In other words, if it was too cumbersome to say in casual conversation, it was "pookie". Dope has the same roots.

Kenw, One of my friends in H.S. called RTV (aka gorilla snot)! He was the only person I had ever heard use that terminology. You are the second! It's a small world after all!

John, you should have seen the realistic cow patties we made from "foam-in-place" Instapak.....

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Kenw, One of my friends in H.S. called RTV (aka gorilla snot)! He was the only person I had ever heard use that terminology. You are the second! It's a small world after all!

goriila snot is actually a well known term for 3M weatherstrip adhesive in the old school dirtbike world. it works very well for trail side repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back