Mitsu SPIII or ATF +4 - I'm So Confused....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Coupe (3.0L 6G72 engine/F4A51 4 speed Auto Trans) with 55,000 miles on it and the ATF needs to be replaced at 60,000 miles. I know Chrysler uses a propriatary ATF, so I went to the dealship to pick some up. Here's where I'm confused
confused.gif
, the manual states that only Mitsubishi SPIII should be used, and the dealership is telling me to use Chrysler ATF+3 or ATF+4. Can anybody shed some light on this for me?
banghead.gif

Thanks in advance!

I own an '03 Sonata and Hyundai specifies Mitsubishi "Diamond", SK, Hyundai, or KIA SP-III ATF for all their automatic transaxles since model year 1996. The company issued a TSB from October 2004 categorically stating that neither DEXRON III nor ATF+3 is equivalent to or acceptable as, a substitution for SP-III as service fill. Whether SP-III may be equivalent to ATF+4 is anyone's guess, though I've wondered for some time (unless Chrysler has its own TSB stating so), but qualified SP-III at Hyundai and KIA dealerships is less expensive than Mopar ATF+4. (A nearby KIA dealer sells SP-III for $3.69/qt.) Mitsubishi dealers get a buck+ more for a quart of "Diamond SP-III". Based on the bottle shape and long-neck proportions (identical except for color to the bottles Motorcraft motor oil come in), I suspect the Hyundai and KIA SP-III fluid is blended and bottled by ConocoPhillips for distribution in the U.S. Dunno about Mitsubishi Diamond SP-III. The question I have, though, does that Sebring have a Mitsubishi trannie or a Chrysler trannie? By "manual", I'm presuming you're referring to the 2004 Sebring owner's manual, right? If you get any verifiable evidence that SP-III and ATF+4 are the same, POST! (please)

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your response! The transmission my 04 Sebring Coupe is definately a Mitsubishi, it's a the F4A51 model, which is the same transmission used in many Hyundai and Mitsubishi cars. I have submitted a question to Chrysler requesting an answer to this question. They replied with a response indicating that ATF+4 should be used in this transmission. However, I didn't feel entirely comfortable with the response and have requested clarification. I will post the response when I receive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back