Having Hard Time Reading Auto Tranny Dipstick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my tranny fluid change today and afterwards I tried to take a reading on the fluid level but I keep getting inconsistent readings. At first it looked like it was overfilled by a lot ( I removed 4 litres and installed about 3.75) but after a few more checks it looked like it was below the add mark. I then added about a 1/4 litre more. I then had to do a few more readings inserting the stick, and removing it. On the front side of the dipstick it reads full, but on the backside it reads add. If I flip the dipstick it reverses with front reading add and the backside reading full. I inserted and checked the dipstick about 15 times but still can't seem to get a consistent reading back to back. I am checking it properly with the engine at idle as per the manual. Only thing I can think of is that the dipstick hole is used for the filling and it may be holding some fluid on the sides of the dipstick hole/tube. The dipstick tube is curved which may create some of the issues. The clean fluid makes it harder to read too. I'll let it sit over night and check it again tomorrow morning.

any advice or experience on this would be helpful. Vehicle is a 2001 Caravan 4 speed auto, 3.3. L engine. thanks.

Check the fluid after a ride. And if you top off, go for a ride then check it again.
Some dipsticks just don't drain to well.
After pulling onto a level parking area, run the shifter through all the gears for 10 or so seconds in each location prior to checking it in park.

thanks for the info, I think it may be a draining issue with the dipstick tube as I always got easy readings prior to the fluid change. thanks for the tips.

Drill a series of 1/16 holes along the read area of the dipstick. The top filled hole is the true level. The holes will not fill in with the usual dribble from the holder. Works real nice when the engine oil is new and invisable on the stick also.

WDP

Make sure you check the fluid when it's nice and hot and also make sure you check it with the car/truck on as level of a surface as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back