Clear Answers for GM G80 Rearend Lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning: This post might take awhile, just like trying to find a fluid that meets the 9986115 spec. other than GM's grape-scented liquid gold. I have researched past posts thoroughly. To avoid the drawn-out explanation and see an actual question, scroll down to the bottom.

Here goes:

2001 Silverado 1/2 ton with G80 "locking" rear. Manual specifies part #12378261 "or equivalent meeting" the above specification. I was going to order the GM stuff from GM Parts Direct for $16, but they say they can no longer ship it because the bottles aren't sealed correctly. I contacted Red Line, Royal Purple, and Amsoil asking specifically if their fluids are approved for the GM number, since that spec is not listed anywhere on their web sites or bottles. I also e-mailed Eaton to ask what special requirement the GM specification meets, and whether any alternative oils will satisfy it--Have not yet heard from Eaton.

The oil manufacturers all say their fluids will work, but not that they offcially meet GM 9986115. Here are the replies :

Royal Purple:
"Yes, your Differential takes
Max Gear 75W90 ( No modifiers are needed)"

Red Line:
"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the GM
9986115, pt.# 12378961 is a non friction modified 75W90 synthetic gear oil. The 75W90NS would match the frictional characteristics of the spec. What GM is saying is that an additional friction modifier isn't needed. The 75W90 contains a friction modifier, it wouldn't be harmful to the unit and is beneficial as it will reduce the friction and temperatures of the differential."

Amsoil sounds a little more definite:
"In response to your inquiry, yes AMSOIL Synthetic Severe Gear 75W90 Gear Lube (SVG) does meet the GM spec’s. The data sheet on our website in the most current. The all product lookup guide is going to be updated shortly and SVG will then be shown for your application."

Since the website does not mention the actual GM number, I wrote back and asked Amsoil to mail me an updated, printed data sheet that does mention approval.
Here's the reply:
"The Severe Gear TSBB states it meets many specifications for semi-trucks and also states 'plus hypoid gear oil specifications from all foreign and domestic manufacturers such as GM, Ford and Daimler Chrysler.' This includes GM 9986115."

So all this seems to put me back at the beginning--everybody says their oil will work, but actual approval for the GM spec does not appear anywhere in writing, except the Amsoil e-mail.

Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I don't want to use a fluid that will harm the differential, which seems possible according to some earlier posts. Or maybe GM's mysterious spec is meant only to scare people into shelling out $30 for a quart of fluid. A few posts by Molakule suggest that the difference is not in performance but in other companies paying GM for licensing.

Finally, here are my questions:

1. Can anybody tell me what the GM number requires, other than grape fragrance?

2. Does anyone know of an aftermarket oil that actually, in writing, meets the GM Spec?

3. Am I making an ordeal over this, when I could really just throw in any synthetic 75W-90 and be fine?

4. If you are using Royal Purple or Redline in a late-model truck G80, could you post how they're working and mileage since the change? I'm sure Specialty Formulations and Amsoil are fine oils, but I can get the other two locally. I'd like to avoid shipping charges if all other factors are equal.

This may not clarify the issue any more than previous posts have, but thanks to all for input and for taking the time to read.

quote:

Finally, here are my questions:

1. Can anybody tell me what the GM number requires, other than grape fragrance?

2. Does anyone know of an aftermarket oil that actually, in writing, meets the GM Spec?

3. Am I making an ordeal over this, when I could really just throw in any synthetic 75W-90 and be fine?

4. If you are using Royal Purple or Redline in a late-model truck G80, could you post how they're working and mileage since the change? I'm sure Specialty Formulations and Amsoil are fine oils, but I can get the other two locally. I'd like to avoid shipping charges if all other factors are equal.

This may not clarify the issue any more than previous posts have, but thanks to all for input and for taking the time to read.

1. No, because they have not released the spec. But I can tell you, it is a majority ester, minority PAO-based fluid with advanced additives. Much like our HDS-5.

2. None that I am aware of because no one wants to spend $100,000+ to qualify for one dumb, unpublished, GM specification with low sales.

3. I have stated this more than once; you can use any synthetic 75W90 with Used Oil Analysis to back up your service claims.

quote:

IMO, yes

All I can offer you is experience.

I have owned GM trucks dating back to a 1975 Chevy Blazer to my current truck, a 2004 GMC E. Cab 4X4 Z71 (nearly 30 yrs). All but 2 of them had G80. Back in 1977 I put Amsoil in the Blazer and have been using it ever since. I have it in my 2004, had in my 2001, my 1999, my 1996, my 1992, in my 2002 Firebird, etc. Probably have as much as 500,000+ miles combined using Amsoil. Once it goes in, the cover never comes off again. My 1996 truck is with its second owner, 125,000 miles of the Amsoil S.2000 75W-90 and has never been changed.

btw-DO NOT ADD ANY FRICTION MODIFIERS TO A TRUCK G80, DOES NOT NEED it.

quote:

The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars. All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life.

about 8 months ago i had the same prob with ordering this stuff from gmparts direct...I emailed them and they replied back a new part# that they had which was same stuff just in a sealed bottle so that is what i ordered. The part # is 89021677 when u type that in the site it now says cant ship???? I would email them and ask they usually reply by the next day

2003 Chevy 2500HD. It has the G80 locker. Put Amsoil 75W-90 in around 15000 miles. This truck has been used and abused hauling heavy trailers and 4 wheeling in the ranch country. It has never given any problems. Presently it has about 98000 miles and I have never changed the oil I put in at 15000 miles. Use the Amsoil.

FWIW, I've had Mobil-1 75W90 in my 03 Chevy 2500HD's G80 EATON Locker for over 35K miles with no problems - changed the Factory fill at 5k. The only reasom I can see to use the GM "Grape Juice" is to avoid a dispute in the event of a diff failure under warranty. IMHO after the warranty expires just use any good synthetic GL5 lube.

smile.gif

quote:

GM "Grape Juice"

What does this mean? Are you implying its grape colored? When I drained my 2004 truck G80 it was not.

The GM AutoTrac transfer case fluid is dark blue colored but I have never seen the GM gear Lube.

A quick call to 2 local GM dealers and I found they don't stock it or use it. One dealer uses Marathon products and the other Mobil. Both service mangers assured me they meet the GM spec's.

fyi - Both are smaller dealers and both said that they could not just order a feew qts, the orders for chemicals (oils in one) must be a minimum sized order in case units. So they only place an order once per year

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
What does this mean? Are you implying its grape colored?

No, the lube isn't grape colored. It does, however, smell like grape juice with a heavy dose of sulfur thrown in. Why GM chose to do this, I have no idea!?!?

I've been told by one oil company chief chemist that any gear oil that meets the Eaton 750,000 mile spec is suitable for the GM differential. Take your own gallon jug to a truck repair shop to buy some. I think these are ester based gear oils.

Ken

Speaking of which, Schaeffer's carries a third-party Eaton qualified oil. Contact "Salesrep" for specifics.

Thanks for the replies and recommendations. There's always great info on this site.

titanium10k--The original part number cross-references the new number you listed, which gmpartsdirect is unable to ship.

Mike--I wonder if your quote about additive applies to oils with friction modifier already added? People seem to be using them without any trouble, though.

Is anybody out there using Red Line or Royal Purple in the light truck G80?

quote:

Mike--I wonder if your quote about additive applies to oils with friction modifier already added? People seem to be using them without any trouble, though.

That quote comes right from GM technical service bulletion dealing with G80 axle problems. I have had GM G80 axle's dating back to my first new car, a 1966 Impala SS 396. The first time I ever changed any rear axle lube was in my 1977 Monte Carlo G80 and that was to put synthetic in it. Since then, I have used synthetic in all my vehciles (99% had G80) and NEVER used any additive.

"Is anybody out there using... Royal Purple in the light truck G80?"

I put RP Max Gear 75W-90 it in my Chevy Trailblazer G80 locker about 6 months ago. Not a lot of miles to report, but a minor seepage that was around the input shaft stopped completely. No more oil film around the front of the diff and slinging on the stabilizer bar underneath. Smooth as silk operation. I posted some pics a while back of the used GM oil that came out at 11,000 miles. Nasty looking residue attracted by a magnet.

My theory is on the added grape smell, it provides a GM technician instant identification, if the oil is genuine GM, for warranty purposes.

quote:

My theory is on the added grape smell, it provides a GM technician instant identification, if the oil is genuine GM, for warranty purposes.

You give them much more credit for being devious than they deserve. These guys got more inportant things to do than worry about what gear lube is in it.....99% of the owners never touch the rear axle lube so I doubt anyone would be suspicous of it to begin with. If there are prooblems is going to come from abuse or parts defects, not which brand of gear lube.

If its under warranty and it breaks, they fix it.

[ May 10, 2005, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I've had Royal Purple Maxgear 75w-90 in my 2001 2500HD with the G80 for about 2 months now.

The G80 is working as well as it ever did,and there is no chatter or noise I can hear.

I decided to use the RP when I was told the manuals for the 2005 2500HDs stated that GMs "grape juice" OR a GL-5 rated gear lube was acceptable. As far as I know there have been no changes to the rear end of the 2500HDs.

1. No, because they have not released the spec. But I can tell you, it is a majority ester, minority PAO-based fluid with advanced additives. Much like our HDS-5.

If the "grape juice" is truely ester/pao like molakule states, then why is everyone in such a big hurry to dump it at an early OCI? is the grape juice only used in the G80, or other GM applications?

Wiley,

I think most people are changing it out because of the break in metals from the rear end. Alot of guys are reporting quite a bit of metal particles in the gear oil when they change it for the first time.

Off topic,where in Kitsap County do you live? I grew up Hansville,and later moved to Snohomish county.

Just to throw a reminder out about warranties, read them carefully. If you have a diff failure and go to a dealer who is not "friendly" about warranty work, you stand a decent chance of getting a warranty replacement denied for not using the specified fluid. Operationally, I doubt you'll see any trouble with the Amsoil, RL, R-P, SF, or Schaeffer fluids. However, see the troll-esque post about the Subaru warranty denial with an Amsoil bypass over on the Bypass filters forum.

Amsoil will not replace the diff if they can see that any failure is not lube related. Chevy could deny a warranty claim for not using specified fluid.

Bottom line? How much is the factory warranty worth to you? If you spend significant time researching the issue, won't you have spent more than the price of the genuinely-approved fluid? Isn't Molakule saying the approved fluid is built from as tough of base fluids as the other brands you're considering?

[ May 17, 2005, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: bulwnkl ]

Off topic,where in Kitsap County do you live?
Seabeck

Isn't Molakule saying the approved fluid is built from as tough of base fluids as the other brands you're considering

That's what i was thinking too? wasn't the grape juice introduced when they went to new material on the slip faces? Wonder if the juice could be filtered over a magnet or something then put back in after some break in miles. Maybe I'm just cheap ole bast, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back