Rear Differential fluid for '02 Honda CRV-EX with AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approaching 60K miles and wanted to change this fluid soon. Is this something I could do myself (another words not to complicated and does not require special tools or knowledge)?

What would you guys recommend? Is there something better or a better value than Honda fluid?

I did this recently. It is not very hard you will need a fluid transfer pump, which you can get a AutoZone etc.., since the fill hole is veritcal. It will take 1qt of fluid.

ONLY use Honda dual pump fluid. You should change the fluid every 30K. The Honda dual pump fluid is about 7 dollars at the Dealer.

"ONLY use Honda dual pump fluid. You should change the fluid every 30K. The Honda dual pump fluid is about $7 at the Dealer."

Y'know, that really ****** me off. A while ago, I looked into this fluid for a few people I know who owned and no one has a substitute. I even asked Dave Granquist at Red Line Oil which of their fluids would be a suitable replacement for Honda Dual-Pump fluid.

He said none as Honda wouldn't release the specs.
rolleyes.gif

That really ****** me off.
mad.gif

I'm sure Red Line or MolaKule could come up with a better fluid for less $$ ... but currently CRV owners are forced to grab their ankles and let the dealerships have their way with them.
rolleyes.gif

Did I mention that this really ****** me off?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

Well to make you more mad, if this service is done at the Dealer it will be about 80 dollars.

It takes 15 minutes.

Just gotta love Honda:
Special PS fluid
Special ATF
Rearend gear oil has fancy name(dual pump fluid)

Honda just loves to force their fluids on the customers.

Love to see a VOA on the 'dual pump fluid' to see if its anything special. Anyone wanna bet that its nothing but a GL5 gearoil?

Somebody explain to me how Honda can be so blatant with their special fluids that nobody else can duplicate, yet not feel the wrath of a class action suit under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act?

Sorry andrews, I'm still ****ed off.
mad.gif

Good point Kestas, where's a lawyer with too much time on his/her hands when you need one?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Somebody explain to me how Honda can be so blatant with their special fluids that nobody else can duplicate, yet not feel the wrath of a class action suit under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act?

BTW, we do have ATF that replaces the Honda Z1 and MT fluid MTL-P. In the product "details" are all of our PSD's.

We do know what's in most of these fluids but let's take one example why we don't make other Honda products (Honda PS fluid):

1. Found at Walmart for approx. $2.00 by Bardahl. People mostly shop on price and not quality, so we will not produce a PS fluid for Honda.

2. Not enough volume for the specialized Honda fluids.

Bottom line is, if there was enough volume, we would do it. Same situation with those crazy GM/Eaton qualified fluids.; not enough volume to pay pwards of $100,000 for qualification testing.

Go to any vehicle specific site and instead of quality fluids being discussed, price, not quality, is the deciding factor.

Now the exception is BITOG here, where product quality is placed over bargain basement, Dollar store crapolla.

I changed the fluid on my sister's crv, it is very easy to do, the dual pump fluid appears to be very thin, seems to be much like ATF in terms of viscosity. If you can do it yourself it is pretty cheap despite buying Honda's "special" fluids.

quote:

Originally posted by OutlawTitan:
Approaching 60K miles and wanted to change this fluid soon. Is this something I could do myself (another words not to complicated and does not require special tools or knowledge)?
What would you guys recommend? Is there something better or a better value than Honda fluid?

Very easy to do. You don't even need to raise the vehicle if you have a Generation 1 ('97-'01) CR-V.
Buy one quart of Honda Dual Pump Fluid, The ONLY fluid for use in these specialized differential/pumps. Use the unapproved aftermarket fluids at your own risk. One quart, all you need, costs about five USD.
Park on a level surface and crawl under the vehicle and remove the fill plug first. Then remove the drain plug and drain the fluid. Both plugs use the same size aluminum crush washer. Replace both with new ones. Replace the drain plug and use one of those plastic pumps that fit into quart bottles and pump the quart of new fluid into the diff. Replace the fill plug.
Wipe off the diff and you're done.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back