2002 Toyota Tacoma Automatic Transmission fluid choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to do a drain/refill of the automatic transmission in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma double cab. I had been under the impression (for some reason) that it required a Toyota-specific tranny fluid. However, I just got out the owner's manual and it specs "Automatic transmission fluid D-II or DEXRON III (DEXRON II)".

So my question is this: Is it worthwhile to go with Mobil 1 synthetic? Or is it ok to just use a name brand tranny fluid? I use Mobil 1 oil in the engine.

I need something I can buy locally, because I plan to do this tommorow.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

David Taylor

[ February 19, 2005, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: mrdctaylor ]

Superglide,

My manual for my 2002 Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab does not differentiate between engines when specifying automatic transmission fluid. Do you have a 2002 Tacoma whose manual states differently?

Been using, on my '96 4Runner 3.4L, various standard Dexron III compatible oils. However, since I've been changing my own oil, switched over to Mobil Syn.

I belive Toyota didn't go special type fluid until 03 as I got an 02 Sienna that specifies Dex III.

I have used just used drains and refills of Supertech Dex III ATF and it's performed wonderful.No shudder just nice crisp shifts.
It's so easy and cheap to change that I do it pretty often.

Superglide,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I believe they changed in 2003 from what I've read. All tacoma trannies took Dexron in 2002 and before.

I live in Texas and use Mobil 1 5W30. I know I could use 10W30 without any issue, but from what I've read 5W30 appears to hold up just as well and adds a little better flow when it is cold. So why not go 5W30?

I change my oil every 6 months (max allowed under warranty) which comes to about 4500-6000 miles for me depending on how much driving I am doing. I've been doing that since it was brand new and have 31K miles on it now. Once I'm out of my 60K mile powertrain warranty, I'll probably extend the drains a little further.

I guess I need to pull out my manual since a drain and refill is in order for the Taco. I will be using factory or Castrol ATF if factory is not required. I sure hope I can use the Dexron cause I don't want to be bound to the IV fluids. Hmmmmmmm....

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 13600
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 10w30 ODO 94100
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back