GM 4T45E transmission service interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 2004 Classic (basically a 2003 Malibu with the 2.2L Ecotec instead of the 3.1L V6) GM recommends a 50,000 mile severe service interval (drop the pan, replace filter, refill). The transmission used is the 4T45E.

Would it be worthwhile to use a 30,000 mile interval instead?

Also, I have read in Popular Mechanics, of all places, that you can make dropping the pan much less messy by disconnecting the transmission cooler line from the transmission, extending it into a bucket, starting the engine and letting it run until you start to see bubbles coming out.

Is this an OK procedure to use for this transmission?

Finally, are there any known problems with the 4T45E or is this a reliable transmission?

Sure, the 30,000 interval is just fine. The factory recommendation is pretty slack and my thinking about GM's service recommendation on their transmissions is that GM is in the business of selling cars and parts, not keeping their cars on the road after warranty.

So, be good to your vehicle's transaxle and get / perform a service. A conventional service of dropping the lower pan and changing the filter and fluid will work just fine. Don't bother to get the fluid out of the convertor and cooler. Just do regular services around that mileage interval or better yet 20,000 miles.

The late 4T45E have been decent units so far. I've only seen a couple and the information on failures so far is light.

Thanks for the info. My concern is about dropping the pan without making a huge mess.

Would it work to get one of those oil-change pumps that hook up to a drill and drop the hose into the check plug hole, sucking up all the fluid before dropping the pan?

The car currently has 15,000 miles on it so I'll change the fluid this summer.

You can drop the pan without making too big of a mess. First you need a huge drain pan, the bigger the better. Then start removing the pan bolts, begin on the rear side(towards the back of the car) and work your way around to the front in both directions. Eventually you'll be left with only the front bolts holding the pan on and the ATF should be draining out by now.

Then start loosening the front bolts. The rear of the pan will drop further and more ATF will pour out. If you do this correctly you shouldn't get any oil on the floor.

After the first pan drop you can install a drain plug and make future servicing much cleaner and easier.

I like to drop the small corner first, lessening the mess. But if you really want less of a mess install a plug on the pan and it should be a cinch.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by FazerZ:
Sure, the 30,000 interval is just fine. The factory recommendation is pretty slack and my thinking about GM's service recommendation on their transmissions is that GM is in the business of selling cars and parts, not keeping their cars on the road after warranty.

So, be good to your vehicle's transaxle and get / perform a service. A conventional service of dropping the lower pan and changing the filter and fluid will work just fine. Don't bother to get the fluid out of the convertor and cooler. Just do regular services around that mileage interval or better yet 20,000 miles.

The late 4T45E have been decent units so far. I've only seen a couple and the information on failures so far is light.

I have a 2004 Cavalier with, I think, this transmission. My owner's manual says change auto tranny fluid at 150k normal/50k severe. I saw that and thought "to **** with that." But this is actually the first car with an auto that I've ever owned. I used to do manual fluid at 20k. I'm not in the severe category. So what should I do? And I've never done this before, so is it something I can easily do myself or should I take it in to the dealer? I'm not mechanically challenged, but I don't have any complicated projects under my belt either (brake pads and oil changes is about as complicated as I get). I'd like to make this car last 200,000 miles w/o major mechanical problems (i.e. no new transmission, no new engine). Suggestions?

I've become a believer in 25k mile intervals for normal use. You really can't change it too often, IMHO. If you really want the car to last, I'd go with that. It's not expensive if you do it yourself and not really that difficult, either. If you do a pan drop/filter change every 25k you'll never need a flush.

BTW, to the original poster, if you decide to run fluid through the cooler lines, DON'T run it through till you see bubbles. That's very poor advice. If you do that, the pan is already dry and internal transmission components are running dry and suffering damage. Sticking a suction or siphon tube through the fill/check hole is a much better idea. Like the others said, though, if you manage the pan removal properly, you should be able to drain it without a big mess. Personally, I like to cover the ground with plastic, just to make sure I don't wind up with the Exxon Valdez in my driveway.

Thanks for the info.

Any thoughs on installing a Magnefine inline filter at the next fluid change? Being that it's only $20 + shipping and takes only a few minutes to install, seems like cheap insurance?

An inline filter on the return line from the radiator cooler is a good idea if you can physically get fit the filter in. On some vehicles, size does not permit easy installation.

So if you can plumb one in, I would recommend it.

DH

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
.....Would it work to get one of those oil-change pumps that hook up to a drill and drop the hose into the check plug hole, sucking up all the fluid before dropping the pan...

Sure does. That's what I do with my ford windstar AX4N. I can empty the ATF in the pan in a matter of minutes with a cheap harbor freight tools hand pump. Just get it warm first. I have also considered pulling a cooler line & just letting the tranny pump itself out @ idle, just not sure how bad that is on today's tempramental transaxles
shocked.gif
!
G/luck
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back