Lube for New NSG370 6-speed gearbox in Jeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner's manual specifies something non-specific like "Mopar manual transmission lubricant". What does this German gearbox actually need? Is there an MS____ or an ACEA designation for it?

Also, the PS and NP241 xfer case both call for ATF+4 yet both parts predate ATF+4 by a wide margin. With this in mind, would ATF+3 be an acceptable choice?

RM

Unfortunately DCX goes out of their way to monopolize the fluids on their vehicles, mopar makes a manual transmission lube which carries an MS number. I had access to a DCX fluid chart a while back but I can't seem to access it anymore. As far as ATF+4 goes, if they say to use it that is about all they will warranty, and there isn't any replacement for ATF+4 which will protect your warranty. There are products from companies such as Redline and Amsoil that will be sold to you as replacments for ATF+4 but DCX will have no part of it when it comes to warranty. As far as ATF+3 goes , I believe ATF+4 became the replacement for +3 and was touted as being an improvement moving to a semi-synthetic or a Group 3 synthetic base and likely some friction modifiers added to the mix. So I would say ATF+4 is the way to go in something that recommends it specifically in the DCX lineup.

quote:

Originally posted by richard612:
The owner's manual specifies something non-specific like "Mopar manual transmission lubricant". What does this German gearbox actually need? Is there an MS____ or an ACEA designation for it?

Also, the PS and NP241 xfer case both call for ATF+4 yet both parts predate ATF+4 by a wide margin. With this in mind, would ATF+3 be an acceptable choice?

RM

Didn't know that the new Getrag 6 speeds were out yet...boy that was quick
shocked.gif
..what Jeep are we talking about here?The NV3550 5 speed had a special gearlube and now the Getrag will probably need something special also.What does the owners manual spec?

The new wranglers use this transmission now.

I figured maybe they are using a different engine now, but it's the same I6 as before. Don't know exactly why they are bothering with a 6 speed, guess fuel economy and marketing.

DCX is no longer involved in New Venture Gear. The NSG370 is from the Daimler parts bin (it's mfd by a 3rd party in Germany but it's *not* from Getrag... at least I don't think that it is).

I'm almost certain that it's used in the Crossfire and in a turbo-diesel non-US ML-class SUV. Something like the ML280CDI or ML320CDI, perhaps?

As a side note, they're also moving away from Dana/Spicer for axles.

I predicted that we'd be seeing some good German stuff trickle down to Chrysler products and now we're finally getting some. This gearbox is precise and quiet. Hopefully it's as durable as the NV3550 was.

As for the switch to a 6-speed, I'm not sure that DCX has a suitable 5-speed for the TJ. The granny 1st will become important once the 4.0l has been replaced by the higher-revving 3.7l V6.

OK. 3rd post in a row. How lame am I...

There's another 6-speed used in the Dakota and 1/2-ton that IS a Getrag. It's the Getrag 238.

I thought the dakotas came with a 5 speed auto and manual. didnt know this was an option. or is this only avalible overseas? I know my 03 has a 5 speed auto and people that has the 05 models are 5 speed auto.

I hope the 6 speed is better. I know this 5 speed auto in mine sucks. have to turn the od off. if not when I hit 45. it will shift in to 5th gear. figure it wouldnt shift to this gear till atleast 55.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back