Green colored trans/gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just drained out my transmission fluid that had not been changed since the last owner installed a different final drive.

It came out green and sparkly (I'm sure the sparkles didn't come in the bottle, hehe) and stinks of sulfur.

I remember when I helped pull the trans out of a World Challenge Touring Car Protege, the fluid was very very greenish-blue. The team owner wouldn't tell me what it was, but they replaced it with Redline.

Anyone heard of any brands that tend to be green or blue (no GC jokes!).

FWIW, I put in fresh Valvoline Synpower synthetic 75w-90, it was free! Would go with Redline, but it's a bit pricey for this month.

-JamesW

Castrol Transmax Z ATF (full synth) is green, as is Texaco PAS 14315 (Land Rover power steering/hydraulic fluid) but you aren't talking ATF or PS fluids, are you ?
wink.gif

Sorry, they are the only green fluids I can remember ATM.
dunno.gif

What type of vehicle, mileage, and what type of transmission, manual or automatic?

Our crystal balls only have so much illumination.

1994 Suzuki Swift GT 1.3L DOHC, manual trans, 148K on car, probably 35K to 40K on trans fluid. Not a lot of metal on the magnetic drain plug, though, so that was promising...my Merkur had about an inch of metallic sludge stuck to the magnet, but then again those Merk transmissions only hold 1 quart...not a smart design for 200hp+ turbo cars.

Anyway, yes this is for a manual transmission. Fluid came out noticably green, not just with a tinge.

Thanks

-JW

It will be interesting to see how that Valvoline Synpower shifts when it gets cold. By Cold I mean generally below 40 F.

Most of these GL's work fine above 55 F but when the mercury drops, they shift like Siberian Tundra Mud. This where a full synth is advantageous.

Don't be impressed by the dye. It does noting for the performance of the oil. It would have been educational to see a Used Oil Analysis.

With 148,000 miles on the tranny. a 14.0 cSt to 16 cSt oil probably smooths things out a bit.

[ August 31, 2004, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

OK, THANKS, that now makes sense. The S2000 75W90 is a dark green but fairly clear lube, is an excellent manual tranny lube above 50 F. In Nissan transmissions (which are pretty tight, IME), the S2000 goes south below 50 F with respect to shifting and notchiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back