Adding synthetic automatic transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR

Is it safe to add synthetic transmission fluid to the regular transmission fluid I have in there now? Just in case I need to add a little, I wouldn't want to screw it up.

I think so. I am going to put Mobil 1 ATF in my Saturn. It will drain 4 quarts, so it be mixing with the fluid in the torque converter. I know some Saturn Techs said it would not be a problem, and other Saturn owners do it all the time.

Maybe get one of the experts here to verify. I am a newbie in the learning phase. But, have a feeling it is kinda like people mixing synthetic and dino oil. You just get a blend.

Yes, as long as it is the correct type. There are several different incompatible tranny fluids used by the various mfg.

With some auto companies the fluid you need varies depending on which transmission they put in. Volvo, for example, uses some GM automatic transmissions and some Aisin Warner ... and they take different fluids.

John

I agree with jthorner. Transmission fluids are all manufactured to meet one or more specifications. As long as the fluid meets the spec required by your car, you'll be safe running it whether or not it's synthetic.

Just keep in mind, if you're running a Ford product, Mercon and Mercon V are completely different. Mobil 1 ATF meets the Mercon spec, but not Mercon V.

I too think the AMSOIL ATF I put in all 3 of my cars will go in most any . I did wonder if the Toyota fluid is a blend anyway. Is there any factory fluid thats Synthetic.
dunno.gif

Thanks for the help guys. I have a nissan altima so the mobile 1 synthetic atf meets my requirements, just wanted to make sure they would blend okay. I remember reading something here a while back about Honda accord's having problems with it so I was just checking.

My wifes Aerostar had 4 partial changes (about 4 out of 10 quarts each time. First was dino, next two were Mobil 1, last was Redline (2 weeks ago). Runs fine

Motorhome had original fluid (probably dino). At 52000 I replaced half with Mobil 1. Ran fine for 22000 miles and then I replace 3/4 with Mobil 1. Still running fine.

I have the Mobile ATF in a Nissan Altima( 100,000 miles now) I did the first change 1000 miles after having a new tranny put in, the next at 3000, mile intervals for a total of 6 changes...now I do it once a year ( maybe sooner, one quart at a time , as I put a bypass filter on it).
The reason I did the quick changout was, the tranny shop didn't put the Mobile in like I told them to!They would have charged me 90$$ for a flush, so I did it each oil change..very easy with the Altima...it has a drain bolt.

I would recommend doing it right the 1st time.

Have you AT completely purged via an Infuser machine or through the ATF cooler liner method.

Also have the shop install a new pan filter and gasket...inline filter by the Magnefine unit in the above html add would benefit the M1 too.

This way the tranny is 90-95% M1 and all the skank gets removed/replaced vs diluted by the good stuff M1.

Otherwise to answer your question, to prep my transmission for a synthetic change over I also added 5qts M1 to factory dino stuff.

Results, very smooth shifts! No problems at all.

As listed on the bottle "fully compatible with conventional fluids"

Purchased my 1999 Jeep Cherokee new and have been doing drain and fills with Mobil 1 ATF for 6 years now.Have almost 100,000 miles on the vehicle,sees off roading,trailer towing etc.,and it shifts like the day I bought it.Shifting in very cold weather is where I notice the difference in the factory vs. the Mobil ATF...the synthetic shifts much quicker and surer in very cold weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back