DEXRON III vs ATF3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the DEXRON III and ATF3 same? I read the manual book says use DEXRON III for the 1996 Cherokee 4WD uses AW4 automatic tranny. I went autozone parts store and they said I can use ATF3. I am not sure if ATF3 is a DEXRON III?

Which brand ATF oil do you recommend for Jeep's AW4.

Now who you gonna believe? The engineers from Chrysler or the kid behind the counter at the auto parts store?
wink.gif

Definitely use what's specified in the manual.

BTW Dexron III is not the same as ATF3.

It was from autozone autopart store and the computer said ATF3. I was like confused and told the guy what a min. the manual book says DEXRON III not ATF3. They said it's same. I told them forget it. I don't want ruin my AW4 tranny.

here the picture of manual book says DEXRON III.

-

What do you recommend brand Dexron III oil? I went to Jeep dealer and they said use ATF4+. I read somewhere in jeep forum said not recommend use ATF4+.

Who are telling truth?

DO NOT use ATF+3 in an AW4. The IdiotZone computer probably says it because ATF+3 is what you would use in a Chrysler transmission, but thank god, the AW4 isn't a Chrysler.
wink.gif
Go out and look at the drain plug on your tranny - it will have DII stamped into it. That means the company that made it, Asin Warner, says to use Dex II. (which is impossible to find, and III is a replacement) I use Chevron Dex III in mine, good stuff and I can get it for $11/case at Costco. I wouldn't suggest any synthetic, I've heard more than once about it doing bad things in the AW4.

[ June 28, 2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: ZmOz ]

ATF+3 and +4 are special DaimlerChrysler spec products for certain of their transmissions. It is not the same as Dexron and cannot be mixed or substituted.

Dexron is a GM spec product for GM and many other transmissions. Dexron-III(H) is the newest version. The only situation I've heard of where Dexron-III is not compatible in older transmissions calling for Dexron-II is in Hondas...use Honda ATF or add Lubegard HFM black-bottle supplement with Dex-III.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back