Gear oil change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Mopar 75-140 Synthetic oil in my diferential on a 2002 Ram 1500. I have heard it doesn´t need to be changed, is this true ?
I never tow.

I have an '03 Jeep with the same gear oil. When I changed it at 6,000 miles it looked like black goo.This is with all on road miles.Yes I will keep changing it at regular intervals

No fluid "doesn't need to be changed". Many manufacturers are starting to say that whenever they can, however. They only design vehicles to last around 150,000 miles. After that, as far as they're concerned they should be melted down and made into beer cans. When they're deciding whether a fluid needs to be changed, the main thing they do is find out the longest interval that will let it last that 150k. Not allways the best thing for the vehicle...

I'd change the initial fill and then do it every 50,000 unless the diff goes under water.

I dont think cars and trucks are designed to last 150,000 miles because most last a lot longer then that.

I change tranny and diff oil every 25,000 miles. When I changed the oil in my Dodge truck manual tranny at 24,000 miles, the "lifetime" fluid (synchromesh fluid) looked like it needed to be changed and the magnetic drain plug had lotsa stuff on it. That's probably due to break in and the next time the plug will look better. BTW, I have sold my older Chevy trucks to friends of mine and they have never had any tranny or rear problems I'm sure due to my regular maintenance. My old '74 Chevy is still on the road and has never even had a seal replaced in the tranny or rear. It is on its second engine, though.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
I change tranny and diff oil every 25,000 miles. When I changed the oil in my Dodge truck manual tranny at 24,000 miles, the "lifetime" fluid (synchromesh fluid) looked like it needed to be changed and the magnetic drain plug had lotsa stuff on it. That's probably due to break in and the next time the plug will look better.

Looks can be deceiving. The best way to determine the useable life would be through fluid analysis.

Just my .02

Bill,

I have a 2003 Ram 1500 and changed mine at 15,000 miles. Wish I would have done it sooner as there was a lot of fine "dust" attached to the magnet and in the bottom of the housing. I think it should be fine for a while now though as it was probably from break in.

Looks can be deceiving. The best way to determine the useable life would be through fluid analysis.

Just my .02

Bill, [/QB][/QUOTE]
I agree to a certain extent. If you want to extend the service intervals you should do so after the break in period. When I saw "glittery" stuff in the drain pan, I'm glad I changed it when I did. Since my tranny only takes 2 quarts and most diffs take around 2 quarts, not a big deal just to change it regularly if you're using your own labor.
cheers.gif

I'm with Chris. If you still have the original fill and have gone through break-in, then have it changed. Ditto on water submersion.

Stick with synthetic. I'm not a fan of synthetics, but it definitely has its place in differentials... small amount needed, small premium to pay, doesn't need to be changed often, significant savings in fuel economy. That's why manufacturers are slowly but increasingly moving to synthetics for initial factory fill.

I'm surprised to hear cousincletus and Mitch report these problems. Synthetic diff fluid should last a long time. Just to be on the safe side, the fluid should be changed on a regular interval.

According to someone involved in additive package formulation, OEMs will change synthetic gear lube suppliers for a difference of 7 cents per gallon.

You might consider using AMSOIL or Mobil 1 gear lube when you change, rather than the OEM. Probably cost less, too.

Here in So.Cal. mobil 1 75-140 is $17 a quart.The jeep dealer around here gets $24 a quart. This is the same dealer that sell atf+4 for $10.It is stiil cheaper to change it rather than ignore it

Lordy611: "I changed the fluid in the rearend of my son's '97 Mountaineer. Specifically calls for 75W140 synthetic. Guess what? Only place I could find it was at the Ford dealer for $17.95 per quart ... and it took more than 2 quarts!"

You should have come to BITOG first.
wink.gif

We have sponsoring dealers who sell Red Line, Amsoil and Mobil 1. Numerous synthetic lubes in 75W140 to choose from ... and for about half the price you paid at your dealership.

I agree with ZmOz, Chris B. and others here. Best to change it at least occasionally. The manufacturers don't want your driveline to last forever.
tongue.gif

Occasional gear oil changes will keep your diffs humming along smoothly and quietly. Once you get that dreaded "howling" noise, it's gonna annoy you and continuosly remind you of how expensive they are to replace.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Mitch, guess what? About 9-10 months ago Mobil 1 75W-140 was here in Bay Area $6.99/quart just as a regular 75W-90. Now it's $16.99
shocked.gif
. I have no idea what's going on...
confused.gif

Price for the Mobil 1 75W-90 is OK. But if I would need to use 75W-140 I would definately order Redline 80W-140 from our site sponsor www.myoilshop.com. If I'm not mistaken it's $7.00/quart (pretty good I must say
smile.gif
).

Regards,

[ March 21, 2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Titanium_Alloy ]

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
According to someone involved in additive package formulation, OEMs will change synthetic gear lube suppliers for a difference of 7 cents per gallon.

You might consider using AMSOIL or Mobil 1 gear lube when you change, rather than the OEM. Probably cost less, too.

I changed the fluid in the rearend of my son's 97 Mountaineer. Specifically calls for 75w140 synthetic. Guess what? Only place I could find it was at the Ford dealer for $17.95 per quart
gr_eek2.gif

And it took more than 2 quarts.
pat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back