Your experience with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in a GM 4L60E ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have bad experience with M1 Synth ATF in a GM 4L60E automatic tranny?
Some of the bulleting boards have horror stories about this stuff harming their automatics??

Any success stories with this fluid in this tranny???

I used Mobil 1 tranny fluid in the 4L60E in my 98 chevy truck for a while. It seemed to cause my tranny to slip a little so I flushed it out and put regular fluid back in and didn't experience the slippage anymore. I know quite a few other people on various message boards have used in in this tranny with no problems. Maybe mine was just a coincidence or something else was wrong but I haven't used it since.

Wayne

Alex:

Don't own a GM 4L60E, but my experience with Mobil 1 ATF is pretty similar to that with Mobil 1 motor oil, and that is: if you have any questionable seals in your tranny, the Mobil 1 will find 'em!

When I put a new Yank torque converter in my '98 Z28 back in March of '99 it had Mobil 1 synthetic in it. We also changed the fluid in the pan along with the filter and added more Mobil 1. I ran that converter with that fluid about 40000 miles with no additional transmission cooler. Lots of runs at the drag strip. In the Houston, TX heat. Car had 52000 miles on it when I traded it in. Everything still seemed to be in good working order.

Les

Les, I thought Yank were one of the biggest fans of not using synthetic oil with their torque converters though?

Patman, Mike at Yank is the one who did the install and put the Mobil 1 in. I remember him saying that the people who run the Baja 1000 all use Mobil 1.
smile.gif

Les

quote:

Originally posted by Les:
Patman, Mike at Yank is the one who did the install and put the Mobil 1 in. I remember him saying that the people who run the Baja 1000 all use Mobil 1.
smile.gif

Les

OK maybe it was the guys at Precision Industries (Vigilante converters) who don't like synthetic then. I know it was some big converter maker.

I used Mobil 1 in our 98 Suburbans transmission and it ran fine. Had 78k on it when we sold it.

I now have an 02 Silverado Z71 with the 460LE and have been running AMSOIL ATF in it since 10k and it has 43k on it now with no problems.

I have changed the ATF in my 96 Corvette this spring with M1 synthetic ATF. I also replaced the filter with a new OEM unit.

Immediately after the change (full flush, drop pan, clean pan, replace filter, refill and flush soem more) during which I am sure I exchanged more than 95% of the OEM ATF fluid, I noticed that the part throttle shifts smoothed out significantly and the WOT shifts were as firm as before.

If you consult some of the internet forums (LS1.com, LS1tech.com, GTP forum and chevy truck forums), you will find the opinions split between synthetic and non-synthetic ATF. There is a whole bunch of people out there that claim the synth. ATF made their tranny slip, others say it works perfect.

Also, I struggle with Amsoil's claim for a universal ATF. We all know that the main difference in ATFs is the friction coefficient. Type F is the grabbiest ATF and oxidizes much quicker than newer fluids, Dexron is in the middle and Chrysler ATF+ is the "slickest" fluid out there (you can change Dexron to Chrysler ATF+ specs with the lube guard friction modifier). How can one ATF fluid serve all friction requirements. It just makes no sense. We know that plain unmodified Dexron often causes converter clutch shudder and clutch pack failures in Chrysler trannies. How can Amsoil ATF "serve all kings" here??

If you're looking for an alternative fluid to full synthetics, try the Schaeffer's #204S.

I currently run Schaeffer's #204S in my 4L60E in a '92 Suburban and in the '03 Nissan Pathfinder's auto. The shifting transitions are smooth yet there is firm engagement.

[ December 01, 2003, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back