Fluid for steptronic auto in BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys know what is the recommended/required fluid for automatic (steptronic) transmission for 3 series (E46) BMW?
Do you have BMW P/N and the price?

BMW says it's a lifetime fluid and has to be changed at 100K miles but I don't buy into that and prefer to change it every 30K like I did with my other cars, manual and automatic. After warranty is up I will probably run Red Line ATF if it is fine to use it in that tranny.

I believe you have the GM 5l40-e transmission which requires a ATF made by Texaco,PN is ETL8072B. The BMW part number is 83220024359.

I have a 540i that had a "lifetime" fluid installed in the transmission and BMW's price for it was about $20.00 a litre. Redline has an approved substitute which is cheap by comparison.
I would email Redline and see what they have to say. I don't know if anything is compatible with the Texaco/BMW fluid for your car.

As 1maniac says, your car has the GM 5L40E built at Strasbourg, France. This same transmission is used in Cadillac's CTS and the upcoming SRX SUV. I had heard that BMW had exclusive use of this transmission for three years when it was first introduced.

I found this GM memo on the SRX application that might shed some light for you. It says the 5L40E uses a maintenance free Dexron III fluid. One reason for this is because the transmission is built in a "clean room" so few contaminants are introduced during assembly.
GM 5L40E doc

The takeaway from all this is that you're probably okay with a good synthetic Dexron III such as Redline's D4 ATF. I'm saying this with some confidence since I was formerly a GM powertrain engineer (on the emissions control side). The base platform (in this case, transmission) is designed around a pre-defined set of parameters. There may be component upgrades and add-ons but the base parameters don't change--for a transmission, the friction and viscosity characteristics of the ATF would be in that set of parameters. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks guys, you bring some relief since I thought that I have ZF built 5HP19. This unit requires ESSO ATF LT 71141, BMW P/N 83229407807 that is sold only in 20 liter canisters for $510 list!
shocked.gif

I guess I have to get under the car and see which one I have.

Hi magbarn, I knew I've seen your name on the other board!
smile.gif

Yeah, I've seen this chart and it got me worried, I have '03 325 and I guess I have to get down and dirty to find out what tranny I have. I noticed on X5 sticker at the dealership that it had some parts from France, this must be the tranny. I think mine was 100% Made in Germany and for the first time I'm not happy about it...

I should've gotten the manual!
banghead.gif

Are you on the 'fest or the 'fly? Yeah, I think I've seen you around also. Anyways, both of our tranny's use the same "liquid gold" and both of our trannys need fluid change around 30K miles. So if you got the stick you'd still be in the same situation. Albeit your auto does need quite abit more fluid than my manual. That's funny that BMW says that using any other oil can cause damage that will void your warranty. I think by stating it's a "lifetime fluid" and shouldn't be changed It allows them to dance around the Magnusson-Moss act.

[ September 05, 2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: magbarn ]

It seems to be a trend among transmission manufacturers to go with "lifetime fluids". Note that the GM4L30E after 9/95 production is considered to have such.

Manufacturers want to show long service intervals and low service costs. This is partly PR and partly because of the high percentage of leases among luxury brands. Look what BMW has done with the service indicator intervals on their newer models--15,000 miles between oil changes! Previous models had intervals of 10,000 miles which is still excessive considering that synthetic oil was not spec'd back then.

With synthetic fluids, you can certainly extend the service intervals--increased resistance to oxidation, improved ability to disperse contaminants. With "lifetime fluids", you've also eliminated the small risk of introducing foreign contaminants from regular tranny service.

Having said all this, I still believe it's better to drain and replace the fluid at a more regular interval--say 40,000 to 50,000 miles with synthetic. BTW, my BMW dealer says to expect only about 100K miles life out of the transmission. I'm at about 140K with a '95 525iT and the tranny is on life support.

I was also told not to expect much more than 100K miles (around the time for 1st recommended drain) from auto, manual should last 300K with proper maintenance, clutch at least 150K.
It is a bit of a concern for me since at my rate I will see 100K miles in 3 years and rebuilt tranny costs $2,500. I was hoping that this car will see 150-200K miles.

You're lucky. Here in Northern CA, with our $90-$140 per hour shop rates, I was quoted $3,400 for a rebuild. The dealer wants $4,200 for a BMW-rebuilt transmission with a 2 year warranty.

I'm hoping to make it until Spring next year.
frown.gif

What year is your 3 series? I have a 2003 330i with a 6sp manual (BMW's sticks also use ATF) and if you do have the ZF (BMW switched to ZF tranny's around 2000-2001, I believe they stopped using GM's except on the AWD models) Anyways, you're right, the fluid your looking for is ESSO ATF LT 71141. It's available in 5 liter containers also for a bargain basement price of $130!!!! What a deal, it must have gold flakes in it! IF you're still interested, the part # is #83 22 9 408 942. I'm in the same boat as you,I also don't believe in "lifetime fluids", and was told to you use redline D4 ATF
Here's a few charts that might be helpful. Hint: MAtch the color with the charts to determine the tranny and what oil you need.

From 1990-2000

-

From 2000 - on
 -

The Latest (Notice they switched to ZF in 2000?)

-

[ September 05, 2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: magbarn ]

I just changed the transmision filter on my 97 BMW 328i and refilled with Mobil 1 ATF. So did I screw-up? What is so special about Unical, Castrol or Texaco that only they will not cause transmision failure?

Nope, your tranmission uses Dexron ATF. SOME BMW trannys require specific ATF's other than teh normal Dexron/Mercon. Most of these are semi-synthetic fluids that are designed to work with the linnings in the transmission and use of Dexron will cause the tranny to fail.
grin.gif

Yup on the chart I posted previously in this thread, you have the "Orange" tranny. So Dexron (Mobile1 ATF is Dexron compatible) is the oil your tranny uses (LUCKY!!)

[ September 27, 2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: magbarn ]

Several years ago I tracked down a replacement for the factory fill Texaco fluid that is installed in the A5S 360R BMW transmission of the E46. I was in direct contact with Texaco of Europe which has since been combined with Chevron/Texaco. They gave me a contact name in North America who ultimately researched the products and told me what to use in my vehicle. The product that was recommended is Chevron Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Heavy Duty. It is also marketed through Texaco as Texaco Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Heavy Duty. It is available through Chevron/Texaco distributors only. Product codes are: Chevron 226718. Texaco 221128.

The product is actually used in the Allison transmissions and I was told that it is a slightly better performing extended drain fluid than the Texaco ETL 7045E fluid that it is replacing.

F1 Crazy: Redline considers their D4 ATF a suitable replacement for the Esso LT71141 ATF.

However, you can obtain the Esso LT71141 ATF fluid from http://www.jie.com/ for $13/L. Very good price and the only source that I've been able to find.

E-mail Dave Granquist with Redline and he'll double-check for you the exact fluid thats in your car.

Note that he'll usually suggest waiting until the warranty has expired before changing the fluid as Esso LT71141 ATF is amber instead of the typical pink/red color of ATF.

Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF is worth considering.

Michael

Any of you fella's ever consider getting ATF from Mola over at Specialty Formulations.

I plan to do so in another 4K miles for my ATF + Differential fluids..

quote:

Originally posted by chefwong:
Any of you fella's ever consider getting ATF from Mola over at Specialty Formulations.

I plan to do so in another 4K miles for my ATF + Differential fluids..

Only problem I have with his fluids is that even if I order three gallons, it still comes out to about $7/quart shipped for a syn blend ATF. That's $$$ IMO.

However, I'd like to note that his MTF/Gear Lubes are a steal.

BTW Chef, how soon will you have that UOA of GC?

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back