ATF question....type F vs dexron/mercon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question since I can't seem to find any defining answer. When exactly did Ford make the switch from type F to mercon fluid? Some have told me the dexron/mercon is backwards compatible but I was always taught against that, and everyone seems to have different opinions on when the switch was made. Any ideas?

I stand on this opinion.

A) DEXRON/MERCON is reverse compatible.

With a dash of hypothetical humour....heck you could find one of the original powerglide trannies filled with Whale Oil and fill it with modern stuff. (assuming you dug one up untouched by age and history LOL)

B)The Type F switch...do not know.

The basic difference is that type F contains no friction modifiers, while all others do in varying amounts.

Toyota also used type F until the early 1980's. Our 1981 Toyota had the fluid changed and the shop used Dexron by mistake. It slipped badly. Type F back in, everything ok. As late as 1996, Ford was still calling for type F in power steering units. I don't know why.

Kinda like why the 4r70w tranny on my '99 F150 calls for Mercon V, while the transfer case calls for mercon only. Go figure?
dunno.gif

Ken2 YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET RID OF THAT LUBRIZOL link!! I think there is a hacker hanging around that link!!

The answer is 1987 for Mercon, moving to a product with friction modifiers. Type F is still required for the transmissions with the original clutch and band materials. I have a chart with all the years and fluid development on my site in aplicaciones..... transmisiones automaticas (the chart is understandable in any language)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back