High quality 80W90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a high quality, over the counter 80W90 dino GL5 gear oil?

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by ssmokn:
Can anyone recommend a high quality, over the counter 80W90 dino GL5 gear oil?

Thanks.

I have to ask why you would want to use dino oil? For most applications a quality synthetic would be a lube for life application. You are only talking about 2-4 quarts to purchase once. At a minimum the synthetic would be good for 5 times the drain period. Are you planning on submerging the axle frequently as in boat ramp or off roading through creeks?

Personally, I would go for something more like a 75w90 synthetic over the 80w90. You will get better protection and mileage for those short trips during colder winter weather.

FWIW I checked the rear diff on my 92 toyota 4x4 last summer,(the finger in the fill hole test) and the 80w90 Amsoil I put in back in 92 and about 100k miles ago looked like new.

Try the S2000 75w90 Amsoil. Besides, it looks cool. It looks like a melted blue slurpy.
grin.gif

Mike
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Ya, I've got a couple of cases of synthetic gear oil right here. Both 75w90 and 75w140.

I'm not trying to debate synthetic vs. dino rather I'm looking for a quality over the counter dino 80w90.

quote:

Ya, I've got a couple of cases of synthetic gear oil right here. Both 75w90 and 75w140.

I'm not trying to debate synthetic vs. dino rather I'm looking for a quality over the counter dino 80w90.

You still havn't answered why? Are you planning to do an experiment?
confused.gif

I'm sort of interested too. Even though I generally run synthetics I haven't seen much emphasis on gear oils.

[ February 13, 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: RobZ71LM7 ]

One of the best petroleum gear lubes I've seen is the Chevron Delo 80w-90 ....This is made with a high quality group II basestock - "ISOSYN" - along with an inorganic borate antiwear additive chemistry. This stuff is about the only petroleum gear lube I've come across that meets the new extended drain specs of Rockwell/Dana/Spicer/Fuller for HD axles and transmissions. These approvals allow drains of up to 750k for axle use and 500k for HD transmission use ....

The only problem may be finding this stuff in something less than a 5 gallon bucket
frown.gif

Ted
Dixie Synthetics

Tooslick

THANK YOU! That was exactly what I needed to know.

I have a Mobil/Chevron distributor less than a mile a way. There is also an International dealer about 10 minutes away and they stock that oil in quarts.

Thanks a million!

quote:

Tooslick

THANK YOU! That was exactly what I needed to know.

I have a Mobil/Chevron distributor less than a mile a way. There is also an International dealer about 10 minutes away and they stock that oil in quarts.

Thanks a million!

What are the chances that those places are in Jersey? I'm interested in this oil for my truck. I found santextrucks that sells 'em @$2.95/quart;I will be sending them an email today.

--------
 -

[ February 14, 2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: pinoy99 ]

Thanks for the info. At lunch today I went down to the local Mobil/Chevron distributor. Sure enough only 5 gallon pail minimum size in stock. They don't order small quantities either.

I then went over to my favorite IH dealer parts counter. They had the Delo 80W90 on the shelf for $2.95 per quart. I picked up a half dozen.

Interesting info on the Citgo and Penzoil. The Penzoil is available at K-Mart. We have lots of Citgo gas stations around here but not too much in the way of Citgo oil that is readily available. The gas stations usually have the motor oil but it is over priced. I've never seen the gear oil you mention.

Thanks again.

Yep, it didn't occur to me until TooSlick said it but I'd look for the Chevron gear oils.

Slick, isn't "isosyn" a group II+ base?
confused.gif

Pennzoil would be another choice in this category ... and they have a Group IV/V synthetic base gear oil as well which is widely available.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

The Pennzoil Gear Plus 80W90 is a very good mineral gear oil. It is made from Group II base stocks and it has the posi track additive in it.

I know that the Chevron gear oil is a good product with the borate in it, but I have been told if you have it in an axle where the possibility of water might get in it, like 4WD, that the water causes the borate to seperate and the protection is gone. Maybe Wideman could answer this better than I. I know most over the road semi's don't have water contamination problems, but there not going through mud and water holes either.

Water is supposed to be an issue, but it is also an issue with Sulfur/Phos additves. We drained and disassempbled the rear end on my 95 Runner a couple of weeks ago after 2000 km with water in it (sometimes you want to kill your sales people). 800 ppm of dirt, 4% water. 90 ppm iron. Replaced the cross piece (we call it cruceta) because it showed 1 mm of wear on one end, but don't know how much was from this time or from total use as this is the first repair in 180,000 km. Didn't even disassemble it 3 years ago after I dug it out of the river basin. LSD clutches and all other parts were fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back