2003 Ford E-250, gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of gear oil would I need to use?

My owner's manual shows several different axles with different lubricants:

75W-140 synthetic for Visteon 8.8/9.75 (open and limited slip)

SAE 90 for Dana 9.75

80W-90 for Dana 10.5 and E-550 Dana 135

banghead.gif
I need some Aspirin!!!!!

I don't have the van yet, but I asked the dealership to get one with the 3.73 limited slip rear end.

I have no idea what model axle it will be - what oil should I get?

Richmond Gear GL-6 75W-140 synthetic?
Or just Pennzoil GL-5 75W-90 synthetic?

My main concern is that this lube has to handle the abuse of a 5600+ lb van for hauling stuff, BUT if I get the wrong lube it should also be compatible with either my Ford 7.5" (used in my 3000 lb T-bird) or my ford 8.8" (used in my 4200 lb Crown Vic).

If I use the 75w-140 in any of the Dana axles, would I destroy something??

And what 75W-140 should I get? I found some Richmond Gear lube that looks promising.

Ok - confirmed.

It's a Dana 9.75" (I checked Ford's Body Builder list for 2003 Ford E-series vans), however I am unsure of what to use since the owner's manual only specifies Dana 9.75" - and doesn't mention what to use for open/limited slip Dana 9.75's

just to reiterate: it would have limited slip w/ a Dana 9.75

Do I use SAE 90? 75W-90, 80W-90, 75W-140, ... (all synthetic BTW)

Thanks

fyi

We had a 1993 F150 E. Cab at work. Logged 125,000 miles and never was the rear axle opened up or the lube changed. It was a posi, was leased and we could have cared less. Never had a problem with the rear, the front axle and the trans were another thing. The front axle was torn apart once and the trans went 2x. Only good thing on the truck was the engine and rea axle.

On another note, I stopped at a friends service shop. He had a mint 1995 Ford F150 XLT Ext Cab in the shop, only 42,000 easy miles. Never seen salt, owner has 7 vehicles. This one had a rusted out oil pan and leaking badly. Friend went and got new pan from dealer and the parts guy told him, they keep seveal pans in stock at all times, says everyone sooner or later will rust out. All up till the current style have the bad pans.

Hmmmm weird. I heard the SAME thing with the 4.6's on the Vics.

They all start to rust out.

Hi,
Just found 75W-140 STA-LUBE SYN-GO at Auto Zone for $33/2qts. My 99 E-150 has a metal tag on the diff calling for this weight gear oil.Also, some LS friction modifier should go in. Go look at CRC Industries for this new STA-LUBE product.At this price, I'll change the oil once to degunk the original fill from 24k/3 years.Good Luck!
Ron
shocked.gif

I thought Richmond Gear GL-6 75W-140 synthetic was expensive at $10/qt!!!!

can you describe your E-150?
Different axles/differentials w/ different packages call for different lubes...

Do you have a Ford 8.8" w/ Traction-Lok?

Most gear lubes were formulated for limited slips so adding the additive is pointless on SOME lubes.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Why not give Amsoil Series 2000 75W-140 a shot?

I have to say, I am very pleased with the Amsoil 80W90 that I put in the rear end of my Explorer, 8.8 limited slip with 3.73 gears. I put the oil in with no modifier, and even while towing I hear no noise at all. I will probably run an analysis at 30,000 miles to see how it is doing. -Joe

Hi Metro,
Actually,I don't know what kind of rear-end I have.
You'd have to ask my wife!The metal tag reads 75W-140 SYNTHETIC. I got the cheapest Econoline E-150 on the Ford lot. I'm lucky it even has a rear-end.You should see my arm-rest fashioned from a beach chair.
grin.gif
That's the END.
Ron

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
The Amsoil Series 2000 75W-140 is $9 pc/ $12 retail per QT. (the S2K 75W-90 is $7 pc/ $9 retail) NEW US prices (hey Al's gotta get a new boat)

Yeah, I'm not too happy about that. It's hard enough convincing people it's worth the money as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back