TG vs. Pure1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have proof/statements/hypothesis/theories, or anyother evidence as to what filter is better between the fram tough guard and pureone air filter.

Or perhaps they are equal.

I don't.(that was helpful, huh?
grin.gif
) I can only read the ads like everyone else.

Both are oiled paper with (I think) some synthetic fiber in them. If all else is equal, I'd expect oiled paper to catch more cooties than dry paper. I'd expect similar performance from two oiled paper filters, & expect differences to be small- but that might be wrong in a big way.
dunno.gif

Here's an idea- for about $20 + tax, you could buy one of each for your car & compare 'em. Count pleats, compare thickness & pliability of gaskets, how oily do they seem, smooth or fuzzy paper, etc. You'd then also have two perfectly good air filters for your car. You could even post pix here for us on BITOG!
grin.gif

There's a sealed Pure One for my car on the shelf, & I just may get a Fram ToughGuard & try my own comparison. After posting this reply, looks like I'll be obligated to post pix too!
cheers.gif

^^
I may do that, but right now I have 3 TG in my shed right now, so it may be awhile before I get to try a P1.

One thing about the TG is the line of glue they have in the middle to keep the pleats uniform. So far I have used 2 and they seem decent, however, on the third one there was a ball of glue in the middle of 2 pleats causing a big gap. I removed the wad of glue but caused a small tear in the element.

Just one thing to consider.

Well, I don't know about performance, but I'd have to agree with Stuart Hughes ^^^ on this one. They're probably about the same.

I'll add this...

I don't buy ANYTHING from Fram simply based on the way they build crappy oil filters and then charge a premium price for them.

Purolator is a very reputable company on the other hand.

So, between the two, I'd drive out of my way to buy the Purolator. Fram products will never be found on any of my cars.

quote:

Originally posted by schwartr88:
Does anyone have proof/statements/hypothesis/theories, or anyother evidence as to what filter is better between the fram tough guard and pureone air filter.

quote:

Originally posted by schwartr88:

How about the NAPA Gold filters? They're available at all Napa dealers and on-line (where I got mine). I've seen reports where they have excellent filtration and a little better flow than stock paper elements. That's what I have and am happy. Steve

It's all relative.
The Napa filters are not made by the same supplier.
The OEM filters differ in quality from brand to brand, and even within the same brand, since different car models would often get the OEM filters sourced from different suppliers.
You can not make a blanket statement like the brand X filters are better than brand Y, because of rebranding and supplier changes.
There are few exceptions when you move up in price and get the filters made with premium media quality as found in the Amsoil Ea and Purolator PureOne.
In those cases you know exactly what you get.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
Purolator is a very reputable company on the other hand.

So, between the two, I'd drive out of my way to buy the Purolator. Fram products will never be found on any of my cars.

Purolator is not perfect either. A little over a year ago I purchased a regular Purolator air filter for my truck. I did not open the box to look at the filter because I assumed that a company could not screw up something as simple as a paper filter. Purolator did. The gasket was extremely thin and as a result the air filter housing would not seal (the top would move around).

A couple months ago I decided to give Purolator a chance again and bought a PureOne. The fit is better than the regular Purolator I had bought before, but it could still use some work. If the filter is not centered, the edge can get pushed into the housing. Also, though the gasket seems to seal the filter housing good enough, it is not quite as thick as I would like. The Fram and STP air filters I have bought before all had thicker gaskets and a more snug fit in the filter housing. The PureOne does do a very good job at filtering. It has trapped more dirt in 5,000 miles than regular ones do in 10,000+. I just wish the gasket was better.

And no, I don't use Fram oil filters. Never have and never will (unless they can compete at all with Motorcraft). I will use their air filters though.

I recently ordered through the i-net pure one air filters for three of my four vehicles. I got them from the online division of Kragen, which is at partsamerica.com. They had all the one's I wanted. Couldn't find any locally. When they arrived, a good inspection gave me the impression of a high quality filter. I held them up to the sun and looked through the media and saw no "rays of light" indicating a pin hole in the media. The fram extra guard had such holes. The gasket or rubber sealing material seemed thick and more pliable/flexible than the fram, and I think it would seal better. I have installed two of them and the fit snugger into the housing that the filters I took out. My opinion is that they are an overall better filter, and well worth the price! Some of these filters are only a couple bucks more than their regular filter. good luck. todd

Today I replaced the PureOne I was using with a Fram Tough Guard. I had removed the PureOne to see how dirty it was and it felt suprisingly "limp" for lack of a better term. It was very easy to bend and I didn't really feel comfortable keeping it in the truck. It has been exposed to a fair amount of humidity, but I have not had another filter bend as much as it did before.

I like the construction of the Tough Guard more. It has lines of glue running across the pleats to keep them in place. It also has a slightly thicker gasket than the PureOne. The air filter housing seemed to shut more securely with the Tough Guard. In addition to the better construction, it was about $6 cheaper than the PureOne (only about $10 for my application at Wal-Mart).

I will say that the Pure One trapped a lot more dirt than the plain paper filters I had been using. I think the media itself is very good at filtering, I'm just not 100% satisfied with the overall construction.

BTW - I'm not normally a fan of Fram, and I use Motorcraft (Purolator) oil filters exclusively, but air filters are another story.

Besides being 3-9 dollars cheaper, the toughguard is more ridgid and has about 15 more pleats in it than the PureOne does for my truck. However, the P1 does seem to have more oil on it.

Ill stick with the fram tough guard, Ive been using their air filters for years and never had a problem.

I had a new Pure One and a new Tough Guard both on the carport shelf. Today I drained Auto-Rx rinse phase #1, refilled with Auto-Rx clean phase #2, & decided to change the air filter while I was at it. Here's my take on the ToughGuard TGA3660 vs the Pure One PA23465.

Media: the Fram TG had yellow paper, slightly slick/hard-surface, the P1 was blue with paper that seemed to be a little more puffy. No idea which filters better/more/longer/finer. Neither filter seemed to have a lot of oil on it. I sort of prefer the *slightly* puffier media of the P1, but have no real reason to believe it filters any better. Call it even money on media.

# of pleats: I dunno. It was so hot today that I couldn't keep the count straight, & sweat kept dripping off onto the wrappers & into my eyes. But putting them side-by-each said that maybe the Fram had a couple more pleats- or maybe not. Either way, not enough for me to give one points over the other.

So far: evenly matched.

Gasket: TG had a clearly thicker, & just as cushy, gasket. Advantage TG- but for my car it's strictly theoretical, the slightly thinner P1 gskt will seal just fine.

Stiffness: someone wrote above that the P1 was more flexible than the TG- and they're right, it is! Since the panel filter is well-supported on all 4 sides, I see no real advantage for the TG here. But that bead of glue that runs down the front middle of the TG, giving that extra stiffness, is gonna block a little air flow. Yeah it's surely very little air & being kinda picky but that's the idea here.

So I'm gonna say the one negative on the Fram(glue bead) cancels its one slight advantage(thicker gasket).

And the winner is: neither, I call them evenly matched on features in my aplication. *BUT*: since the Fram ToughGuard costs less than the Pure One, I'd say that the lower price gives Fram a clear advantage. At identical prices, flip a coin. For less $$, get the ToughGuard.

The above is strictly my own non-expert opinion, & applies to the Fram ToughGuard TGA3660 & the Pure One PA23465 only. Your opinion may vary. And in other applications, *my* opinion may vary!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back