Recommend on oil for 2017 Kia Sportage 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.
For last couple of weeks I'm reading all the threads about intake valve carbon buildup and what oil one should use to minimize the risk.
I've found out about all the fancy words like low-SAPS, low-NOACK and bla bla.
Can someone explain to me as to a regular consumer - what is the oil to put into my GDI?
I run Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra (whatever is available at the time of an oil change), I saw some recommendation to switch to Total Ineo MC3 or other oil which is basically meets a diesel engine requirements (dexos2 or similar).
There's also all kind of other "Euro" oils, will I benefit from using it?

What you have in your signature, and the many equivalent oils, is perfectly fine. No need to overthink it.

No turbo, so LSPI shouldn't be much of a concern, but I would still run a dexos 1 Gen 2 oil and change it at the severe service interval.

Agree. Have 4 different Theta engines, and running synthetic oil and OEM filter at 3,750 mi/4 mo has worked out great.

Thx a lot for the info! Will use PP 5w30 d1g2 going forward

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Thx a lot for the info! Will use PP 5w30 d1g2 going forward

A synthetic Dexos1 Gen2 5W30 for your 2.4L GDI is a smart decision. PP is my personal fave because of the GTL basestock.

The is also HYUNDAI XTeer Oil Gasoline Ultra Protection 5W30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil Car Engines, 6 Quart (6 Liter) $22 @Amazon.

I've order a couple of jugs to see how it goes....

+1 ... The new PP 5W30 D1 Gen 2 is a great oil in my 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI ... It has a low NOACK to help with intake valve deposits , A5/B5 rated to prevent slipping out of oil grade (fuel dilution) , great cleaning ability and increased timing chain protection .
Originally Posted by Danno
I run PP 5W-30 SN+ D1G2 in my KIA 3.3L, works well.
Would recommend for your application as well.

Originally Posted by csandste
Hyunkia's are easy on oil. I've run five on conventional with no problems. Any 5-20 or 5-30 should be good for 5000 or more.

If oil color is any indication (subject to debate i assume), our Hyundai 2.4L gdi has been the hardest on oil compared with any other cars that we've ever owned. Granted all other cars are regular MPFI and not gdi.
If I can help, I would never buy another gdi but the wife liked it a bunch after test driving 3 different competitors
grin2.gif

Op,
I have used PP 5Wx30 and M1 EP 10Wx30. I like both so far!
Dino gets dirty very quickly and it's not d1g2.

Last edited:
OilUzer, I dont get it. people keep saying "I won't buy another gdi" here and there, but what's the problem really? I've driven mine for last 2.5 years and 30k miles, no issues so far. Where's the catch?

2017 is an updated engine, they redesigned a few parts (around crankshaft) and added oil passages to crank and changed crankshaft bearings, it's a better 2.4 thou may look same on outside.
Just run good oil and don't extend OCIs, run quality gas.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
OilUzer, I dont get it. people keep saying "I won't buy another gdi" here and there, but what's the problem really? I've driven mine for last 2.5 years and 30k miles, no issues so far. Where's the catch?

My wife's 2014 Tuscon (2.4L gdi) has approx 71K miles with 0 issues! If it gets to 150K miles with no problems (gdi related issues), then I may change my mind.

Things I don't like about gdi is the oil color and the oil color and possibility of intake valve deposits and the oil color
grin2.gif

I have cars with over 200K and 370K miles (both V6 MPFI) and after 4.5K miles the oil is dark amber or super light brown! I have a 2016 (V8 mpfi) truck and oil stays amber for a very LONG time! Like its a brand new oil.

The gdi oil looks like tar/ink and scary!
shocked2.gif

I know experts will say the color does not matter but this is the first time i am seeing such a dark color oil.
Having said that, if the wife liked another gdi, I won't argue but I would never buy one for myself. The problem is that I keep her old cars for my commute car so the gdi better be good.
lol.gif

I'd say that the oil in my GDI Hyundai 1.6 Accent appears to turn darker sooner than previous MPFI cars I've had...but nothing that makes me fear that something's wrong. The car's almost 6 years old with 5K OCIs of PP or QSUD and zero issues related to direct injection or anything else. Quality fuel and oil combined with a bottle of Techron prior to every other oil change has worked so far....

OilUzer, I feel you. Happy wife happy life. Back in the day I thought I will never buy any german car, any 4wd or turbo engine (just to minimize risks), and then my wife saw this GLA250 4matic and said she will not buy any other car. So here I am now, with a super happy wife driving that benz day by day and enjoying it
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have a sample of very dark brown oil for my first ever uoa. We'll see, maybe I'll change my mind regarding gdi. Car doesn't use/burn oil and she uses high octane gas and not much short trips either ... As far as ivd, idk! Have to wait till 150K miles
coffee2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back