Who makes good ball joints these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I will be replacing front lower control arms on a 2003 Altima. Other than the genuine Nissan arms, are there decent ones out there?

Thanks in advance.

I think the most difficult part is who make the part for your car model, typically OE is still the best even though some reputable Japanese company like GMB quality is also good. The other difficult part is whether you can get genuine part and not fake part, so sometimes it does give peace of mind to obtain OE part from your dealer.

OE from the dealer only, online dealer is probably cheaper. Do not use aftermarket unless you are selling it next week, you will be doing it again sooner than you think.

Originally Posted by Trav
OE from the dealer only, online dealer is probably cheaper. Do not use aftermarket unless you are selling it next week, you will be doing it again sooner than you think.

Does this include other front suspension parts like tie-rod ends?

OEM. Otherwise is a crap shoot....Sometimes you can find good New Old Stock parts on Ebay. But, it's not a guarantee OEM.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Nissan-Lower-Control-Arm-54500-8J000/253659046951?epid=1711130532&hash=item3b0f41e427:g:-ccAAOSwSatbD2uS:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Nissan-Lower-Control-Arm-54501-8J000/253659044045?epid=1511265593&hash=item3b0f41d8cd:g:qKAAAOSwVxtbD2sV:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Wait for a ebay 15% off coupon.

I'm doing all four BJs on my truck. I'm going with Precision upper control arm/ball joint assemblies and Moog ball joints for the lowers. MOST Moog parts are still made in the USA - not all, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Donald

No, they do not have the issues like LCA. Aftermaket LCA often have alignment issues that require you to swap it out for another costing not only time but the cost of the alignment multiple times. This alone can make up the difference between aftermarket and OE.

The other issue is cheap bushings that prematurely fail requiring you to do another job and yet another alignment.
All said and done the aftermarket can end up costing more money and time than OE.

49.gif

Moog blows.

I was waiting for that after I saw the comment above yours. I actually was texting with Critic joking how you would be yelling at me if you knew I ordered a Mevotech control arm for for used truck in the shop.

unfortunately Moog is on its way to being another lousy aftermarket part. Nissan OEM is somewhat reasonable compared to other dealerships. I often get Nissan parts and surprised they are not that crazy. Check and compare before being committed to risking it all at Rockauto.

Are these still the factory installed LCAs? WOW!
How much longer will you or the owner be keeping the Altima?
If you're keeping the Altima for any decent length of time, I would stay with OE.

I had an '04 Altima(purchased new) and I replaced the OE LCA & Outer TR in 2012-13 respectively.
I used a combo of Dorman LCA & Moog TR. I would have use all MOOG but, Moog ONLY made one side of the control arm(driver or pass, I don't remember). MOOG is OK but Dorman is...well, you know!

Originally Posted by Donald

No, they do not have the issues like LCA. Aftermaket LCA often have alignment issues that require you to swap it out for another costing not only time but the cost of the alignment multiple times. This alone can make up the difference between aftermarket and OE.

The other issue is cheap bushings that prematurely fail requiring you to do another job and yet another alignment.
All said and done the aftermarket can end up costing more money and time than OE.

49.gif

What about pressing a new ball joint in the original lower control arm?

Was Moog ever good? I used them before on my Dakota because I was told they are one of the best aftermarket parts company but I don't have much long term experience because I sold my truck a few months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back