Italian Tune vs Long Trips in DI Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by D0nat
Is it nesessary to to drive a car with high revs or it's just do it standing on a parking lot?

The engine needs to be loaded.

Let it rip once a while. Drive like an angry teenager.

Thanks, as I got manual mode of A/T, I can go not so fast but around red line on a lower gear.

My 08 Jeep 3.8 isn't DI, but there is a pattern of mild pre-ignition every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, but less so with winter formula gasoline. Anyway, to get rid of the pre-ignition, usually a tank of Shell V-Power combined with a couple Italian tune-ups do the job. This pattern has been there awhile, so it is a sure thing.

I'd say an ITU isn't a bad thing to do every now an then, anyway. That said, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are experiencing some kind of symptom with your engine, as in the case of my 3.8. None of my other engines ever knock, so I don't really worry about them. I just run Top Tier Fuel. Of course, the only one that is DI is the Ecoboost. I've never heard or felt anything that made me think it had carbon build up that caused a problem.

ITU is for the Pistons/Chambers, not the intake. ITU does work. Works to the extent that manufacturers discovered that during the engineering phase, carbon issues can escape discovery due to typical acitivity on the proving grounds. Engines getting the stuffing beaten out of them didn't develop carbon, and then they did under the street cycle.

Jaguar even developed an engine that in testing was perfect and then developed carbon in the real world that would destroy the engine when finally loosened by hard acceleration.

Same reason why we almost never see a marine engine with buildup. Every cruise is an ITU for them.

YouTuber Engineering Explained did a video on using the ITU to remove carbon build up on the valves. Basically it doesn't work because the valves never get hot enough to burn off the carbon. IIRC the ITU would loosen up stuck rings and restore compression. Less blow-by is always a good thing.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Less blow-by is always a good thing.

What does it mean? To use a catch can?

Originally Posted by D0nat
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Less blow-by is always a good thing.

What does it mean? To use a catch can?

More power, less fuel dilution, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back