Tire choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Michelin Primacy MXV4 on my 2014 Odyssey are worn out after 28.5k mile. Here are my choices to replace them this week:

Discount Tire:
GENERAL ALTIMAX RT43 = $574
CONTINENTAL CROSS CONTACT LX 20 = $642
COOPER CS5 GRAND TOURING = $526

Sam's Club:
PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE A/S PLUS: = $536

Costco:
Bridgestone - Dueler H/L Alenza Plus = $594

I'm in on the Alenzas, just sought outside opinions. TYVM

The RT43's are the best on ice & snow and longest lasting, but the ride isn't the best of the bunch
The Continental's are more efficient and the quietest tire, but not quite up to the RT43 on ice
The Pirellis are best at hydroplaining resistance but inferior on ice
Not familiar with the other two.

It depends what is most important to you. Personally, I'd just get the RT43's given your wear issues. If you use snow tires in the winter I'd go with the Continentals.

Last edited:
OP what is the tire size? On DTD the General's and Cooper's is a 24 cent difference. In the 235 65 17. Couldn't go wrong with either.

I'll advise you to STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE GENERAL ALTIMAX RT43. I purchased a set and and after three tries to balance, they went back. General joins Firestone on my never again list.

My Cooper CS4's impressed me so I'd get the CS5's.
If the Contis had a high mileage rating I'd consider them.

Since the Bridgestone Turanzas I had claimed 80K and wore out at 51K (I know, UTQG is some kind of derived scale number) I stay away from them.

Not sure how those tires wore out so fast. My wife drives kids to school in that car. She drives the speed limits. I was having to refill tires with air every other month and had 3 flat repairs. I'm not sad to see those tires go, but they are a 60k tire, so I'm slightly suprised they're done at halfway point. The car does need to be aligned. Wear doesn't look even, although I'm no expert.

Duelers have longest warranty and deepest tread of the lot.

Taking the kids to school or afterschool activities will wear tires out quickly. Lots of stopping, braking & going type of driving and neighborhood street to street turning will add to the wear as well. This is the type of driving we did when our kids were growing up. Travel sports, family vacations with people & luggage/cargo etc. Lots of running'round will eat a tire for lunch even if the tires are wearing evenly.

I have the Primacy MXV4 on my 2015 Altima and they too are wearing quickly and I've been using other tires/wheels in the winter lately. My treadwear is nice & even though, they're wearing quickly at about 34K miles just on the MXV4s. I have one more 3 season(non winter) with'em starting next spring'19. I'll get them to about 40K miles in 2019 and get something else in 2020.

Everything has to be perfect in order to get the rated miles out of a tire IMO! I've never been able to do it EVER!

Last edited:
Michelin Defender LTX is available in your van's size, and appropriate for heavy minivan use. Get the thing aligned before you waste any more rubber, and do the rotations. MXV4s are relatively soft.

Originally Posted by MParr
I'll advise you to STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE GENERAL ALTIMAX RT43. I purchased a set and and after three tries to balance, they went back. General joins Firestone on my never again list.

Thank you for your sample size of one......
And your all caps...

Was it the tire?
Was it the technician?
Was it the balancer?
Was it the rim(s)?
Seems like far fetched reasoning (or lack thereof) to say never again on RT43s....

I only have experience with one tire on the list, the RT43 V rated currently on a 3.0L Accord, very satisfied. They compare very favorably to Primacy MXV4 that preceded them, for significantly less cost.

As an aside, unless you just prefer to purchase Pirreli/Bridgestone at Sams/Costco, IME b&m DT stores will match or beat their quoted price.

3 out of 4 were out of spec. They were out of round and were out laterally. They had a "T" speed rating. They were hard as a rock. Need I say more?

Last edited:
I had a set if the rt43 on my last car. Rougher ride, but good traction. Got rid of car before I could see how they wore out. Need a good set of tires to keep family safe year round. No winter tires in Cincinnati. At least I don't ever use them. Our snow is very sporadic.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
man, you tore those Michelins up

In my experience (selling tires for 4.5 years), probably 90% of Odysseys require replacing their original Michelins between 25 and 30k miles.

Vans are hard on tires.

So I bought the Dueler H/L Alenza Plus for the 2004 Sequoia in 265/65-17s about 14 months ago.

I liked them so much, I replaced the worn out OEM Dunlop SP Sport 5000s at the 20,000 mile mark with the Dueler H/L Alenza Plus in 275/55-20s in the 2016 Sequoia this past spring.

Pros that I've noticed:
1. Quiet, well balanced.
2. Fuel mileage increased by a smidge. Better than a decrease.
3. Great grip in dry and wet roads, the deep tread really comes through.

Cons:
1. Colorado winters do seem to make the rubber at bit harder, but nothing that worries me.
2. Decent snow traction, though I am in Colorado Springs where snow doesn't stick around long. Better off with dedicated snow tires if you're in a snowy area.

I'd go with the Coopers, but I may be a bit biased. I've got a set of RS3-A's on my Fusion, and they've done extremely well for me. Tread warranty was 40,000 miles, I've put over 54,000 miles on them now, and they still have a fair bit of life left on them. I figure I can get them to 60,000 miles before they get down to 4/32" tread

I'm on my second set of Cooper CS5 for my 2013 Sienna. Really nice tire esp considering the price. Very quiet until about 1/3 tread life left; noise is not excessive but louder than when new.

I'd be tempted to put on an SUV tire(something that can handle the wgt of a minivan) such as the Michelin LTX MS2 or Firestone Destination LE2 if they're available in you size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back