What's too low for ATF level in a Ford/Lincoln AX4N transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did a pan drop and filter change on my 2001 Lincoln Continental AX4N. Measured 6.25-6.50 qts coming out. Put 6.1 qts of SuperTech Mercon V back in. Was sort of surprised it didn't come into the normal range on the dip stick after a 6 mile drive. Maybe it will go the rest of the way after a hot 20 mile drive? I did cycle through all the gear positions, and checked at idle in "park." When I had my 2002 dialing in the level was just easier for some reason...and I could do it cold with constant reliability. It could still be 1/2-1 quart low. Last time I did this on my 2002 I did overfill and it was a pain to get the extra out. There's no drain plug and pushing a tube down the dip stick column only goes so far (ie not into the pan area). So last thing I want to do is overfill by 1/2 qt. System capacity is 13.7 qt.

So any concerns driving around 1/2-1 qt low while I try to dial in the level after an extended hot run? And being 40 deg F outside, the fluid is not going to get all that hot any ways....probably somewhere in the 125-175 deg range. My 6 mile test drive was fine...everything felt and sounded normal.

I like to set them at the top of the crosshatch with the ATF at @ 150-170 degrees. Lightly power braking the vehicle in drive (@1400 RPM) will bring the ATF up to temp, I use a scan tool to verify temperature.

When hot I go by the top of the cross hatch area too. But first I have to get there without over-filling. Just want to do it safely and accurately. Could be a week before we get a chance at a 20 mile extended drive. Last time I changed the trans fluid in an AX4N it was June. So this is a bit different in December.

When my 2002 was filled properly hot, it would end on the "SS" letters of the word "cross" (ie cross hatched) when stone cold. Every time I checked it over 2 years it was right there cold....never varied. This 2001 reads quite a bit higher than that when cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX

So any concerns driving around 1/2-1 qt low while I try to dial in the level after an extended hot run? And being 40 deg F outside, the fluid is not going to get all that hot any ways....probably somewhere in the 125-175 deg range. My 6 mile test drive was fine...everything felt and sounded normal.

ATF is one fluid that will increase in volume as it heats up. I.e., it has a high coefficient of expansion.

I'm with Clinebarger, never top off ATF until the fluid it is in the range of temps above 150F.

If the car runs and drives fine, it has enough fluid.

Just add another 1/2 quart when it's convenient.

and..... 1/2 quart over won't hurt anything at all.

Just did a pan drop and filter change on my 2001 Lincoln Continental AX4N. Measured 6.25-6.50 qts coming out. Put 6.1 qts of SuperTech Mercon V back in. Edited: There's no drain plug and pushing a tube down the dip stick column only goes so far (ie not into the pan area).

AFAIK a 3/8 " OD plastic tube should be normally able to reach the bottom of the pan on a AX4N.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Just did a pan drop and filter change on my 2001 Lincoln Continental AX4N. Measured 6.25-6.50 qts coming out. Put 6.1 qts of SuperTech Mercon V back in. Edited: There's no drain plug and pushing a tube down the dip stick column only goes so far (ie not into the pan area).

AFAIK a 3/8 " OD plastic tube should be normally able to reach the bottom of the pan on a AX4N.
smile.gif

That's what I assumed as well when I changed my own fluid in the 2002 Lincoln for the first time in 2016 and overfilled. Then found out that no usable size of tube I pushed down the fill tube reached into the pan. I would lose suction right about the "full" level on the trans fluid. There was some sort of screen/obstruction. I haven't had the need to try that on this current 2001 AX4N. But I'll probably give it a go next year when I exchange out more fluid (instead of pumping out via the cooler line). Maybe there was something different about my 2002 AX4N fill tube?

I'll keep adding about 4 oz of fluid at a time on this one until I register a "hot" full.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Be thankful it has an ATF dip stick . A lot of new cars do not ! :-(

The ones without a dipstick are a lot easier to set fluid level on. If you have the correct tools, the process on the dipstick-less transmissions is much more foolproof.

Last edited:
2 different cars. Both behaved the same. First shift of the morning, the shift from 1 to 2 felt like giving a manual too much gas as you slowly let out the clutch. Normal shifts until the next morning. Adding a pint fixed them both.

Finally got this reading just under the "hot full" line....3/4 into the normal range. Added several 4-6 oz amounts over the past week. I guess I was about a quart low to start. A pan drain and fill was 6.6 qts of SuperTech Mercon V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back