Tundra transfer case plug torque (Borg Warner)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2017 Toyota Tundra, and while preparing to change the transfer case fluid, I noticed it has the new style 3/8" drive plugs with plumber's tape on the threads. Has anyone dealt with these plugs on a Borg Warner Tundra transfer case? I've heard the torque ratings ratings are somewhere around 15-19 ft lbs, but I'd like to know for sure. The plugs don't appear to be snug, but they aren't leaking so I'd hate to overtorque them. If all else fails, I'll mark the plugs and count the turns. Any guidance or advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm assuming it's probably pipe thread. The plug felt like it could easily be tightened when I put my socket wrench on it.

My wife's F350 has the same BW made set up, the torque is low as you posted and the case is thin.

Use yellow gas or blue monster tape from Home Depot, either will work fine and just snug it. I wouldn't mess around with torque numbers as you have no idea what sealant they used at the factory and if it taken into account for with the torque numbers.
15 ft-lb with tape is going to be a lot higher on the threads, worst case scenario you may end up splitting the case. Just snug will do 100%.

Just moderately tight / snug . Been working on my own vehicles since the late 1960's . Only purchased a torque wrench in the last 5 - 10 years .

Just do not go full gorilla on it .

If it is a pipe plug , it has tapered threads , so it should not take a lot of torque . And the Teflon tape helps too .

Thanks everyone, I haven't had a chance to drain and swap the fluid yet, but I did crawl under there this morning, and the drain plug was about half of a turn from being snug (no leaks). I have never dealt with tapered plugs before, and the fact that it was about half a turn loose from the factory threw me off a little. Thanks again, I'm usually a technical guy, but I feel good about tightening to snug instead of using a torque wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back