Bought a used Ford Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Selling it, huh? I predict you're going to miss it down the road.

I agree on the brakes. I just did my rears a few months back because the driver's side rear brakes had started exhibiting metal-on-metal behavior. I was right - the D/S rear inboard pad was all the way down to the metal, while the outboard had about 1/4" left. Those pads were on the car for at LEAST 85,000 miles, and most likely much longer. From what I can tell, the fronts have quite a bit of life left on them, but I'll be doing a full check soon when I replace the front (original) strut assemblies.

Sir, yes, there are some things I already know I will miss; my Outback just will never match the mileage the Fusion knocks down, and I already know I will have more regular maintenance with the Subaru as well. But here in the Snow Belt, with the possibility (and probability) of snow at least 6 months a year at a moment's notice, the Fusion just isn't the greatest. I am really confused about the brake pads; the originals lasted only 46k and the driver's was down to metal on both sides, the passenger had just a sliver of pad left. I replaced the rotors with the cheapest Advance had, and Motorcraft pads. Those lasted from 46k to about 124k, and again, the driver's was down to metal on the outside and just a sliver on the inside, which fell off when I removed the pads. Passenger side was still OK, so it just got new pads because they come in packs of 4. I wonder if it's not an engineering issue... but now it won't be my problem. Struts, shocks, axles, etc are all still original and in perfect shape. Heck, it hasn't even had an alignment in at least 85k and the tires are still wearing perfectly.

IMHO, if you live in a temperate climate, or have a budget that includes a fund for Blizzaks every year, the 2010-2012 Fusion 2.5 is one of the most reliable, lowest maintenance vehicles you can purchase. Oil changes every 10k, trans fluid every 30k, rear pads every 50-60k, and antifreeze every 100k. It's easily the least expensive car I've ever owned, but also one of the least inspiring. It just does its job, without any flair or excitement. For basic transportation, it's easy to see why this car was the best-selling vehicle in the US until the redesign in 2013. If I could have convinced my wife to move south of the 35th Parallel, I would definitely have kept it, likely for another 150k+.

This car ticks all my boxes of what i need. Roomy/Quiet/30+MPG/Non DI/Non CVT/Timing Chain/ Easy Maintenance.

I wanted the darker gray color but those seem to be harder to find.

I found another treasure, a brand new battery installed by the dealer.. so thats another thing i wont have to worry about for a good while.

Basically this car was owned by a retired lady that drove around 6000 miles a year, changed the oil per the sticker on the window at or near the dot at 5K intervals.

I found out that it was garage kept because she left the garage remote in the car when she traded..

The salesman said this car has a rare option of the microsoft sync.. not many SEs had it... its not really my thing and probably will never use it.

Now to sell the Honda Fit Sport....

Looks nice!

Are these cars really that good? I don't know much about them...

I see you are giving up your Honda for it.

I guess you'll have to join the Ford Fusion forum.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
That sir is one of the best cars Ford ever built. You did exceedingly well. My Lincoln (now traded) was the fancy version of that vehicle and it was well made and extremely reliable. A co-worker still has an 09 Fusion that is way north of 200k, I think maybe 260 not sure on that. It has seen a transmission replacement, however the original owner was a female who never had the first one serviced.

Very good buy!

We have a 12 fusion, the 4 has all the zip one needs. It has given no trouble, other than the brake pad wearing out while on vacation. Rotors are reasonable price, and easy to change.That was hardly the cars fault.

I love the way it drives, i the steering and handling is very good feeling. It is electric power steering takes a bit of getting used to .Only got one key, they , my ford dealer charged about 150 for it and the programming, so out of the range of key costs, was average. . My key was initially set, and was annoying.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
Looks nice!

Are these cars really that good? I don't know much about them...

See the Fusion in my sig, and note the mileage on it. I'm not the only one on here to get one over 200,000 miles, either.

They're reliable, durable, and easy to work on. That goes a long way.

I found an 'issue' today..since someone on here said that the rear driver pad has unusual wear.. I was going to check for myself just to be on top of things.. when i found that none of my sockets fit the lug nuts. I then went into the trunk and got the tire changing tool thinking it was some sort of odd size that i wasnt aware of..
Nope didnt fit either.

I went online and apparently there are lawsuits against Ford due to these lugnuts having a metal shroud that expands...making it nearly impossible to change a tire.

So seeing as this car has new tires and and the customer was billed for several tire rotations... this dealer must know about the issue.

I am going to see tomorrow if they will make it right.. I am probably going to have to buy 20 new acorns... hoping to not pay labor for whatever beating and heating they will have to do to get all these nuts off. Alot of them are rounded as well.. would not be fun beside the road.

This car also has many 'checked brakes' bills and a recent state inspection which should cover me if the rear pad is shot. I can feel a lip on the driver rear rotor inside but cannot see anything due to not being able to pull the wheel..

I never thought to check the lugs when i bought it.. glad i did before i needed to change a tire.

I do not see how they are tightening these lugs unless they have a special tool that grips this shoddy metal cover... my guess is that they do the best they can til it rounds then hope for the best.

Other than this i cannot find any flaws...and its a real nice upgrade to drive from my Fit.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I found an 'issue' today..since someone on here said that the rear driver pad has unusual wear.. I was going to check for myself just to be on top of things.. when i found that none of my sockets fit the lug nuts. I then went into the trunk and got the tire changing tool thinking it was some sort of odd size that i wasnt aware of..
Nope didnt fit either.

I went online and apparently there are lawsuits against Ford due to these lugnuts having a metal shroud that expands...making it nearly impossible to change a tire.

So seeing as this car has new tires and and the customer was billed for several tire rotations... this dealer must know about the issue.

I am going to see tomorrow if they will make it right.. I am probably going to have to buy 20 new acorns... hoping to not pay labor for whatever beating and heating they will have to do to get all these nuts off. Alot of them are rounded as well.. would not be fun beside the road.

This car also has many 'checked brakes' bills and a recent state inspection which should cover me if the rear pad is shot. I can feel a lip on the driver rear rotor inside but cannot see anything due to not being able to pull the wheel..

I never thought to check the lugs when i bought it.. glad i did before i needed to change a tire.

I do not see how they are tightening these lugs unless they have a special tool that grips this shoddy metal cover... my guess is that they do the best they can til it rounds then hope for the best.

Other than this i cannot find any flaws...and its a real nice upgrade to drive from my Fit.

I doubt many people (including those on here) check the lug nuts before they buy a used car. Of course-somebody will chime on here they do-this board being what it is.

Ok small update.. I took my Fusion in to the dealership where i bought it after talking to the salesman a couple of days and him having to 'talk to his boss'.. about the swollen lug nuts issue..

They had a newer Fusion on the rack with the same issue... and i got to hear the conversation at the service/parts area about them needing to order 200 lug nuts at a time.

Long story short they didnt even have to look at my car they just agreed to get me 20 new one piece lug nuts and install for free.

To those that are reading these cars and millions of others have a two piece lug nut that swells and makes them nearly impossible to remove with standard tire changing tools.. you have to beat a socket on and hope for the best.

Here is the article along with the lawsuit info... https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...d-drivers-time-and-money-lawsuit-claims/

Very nice find! Congrats. I'd love to find one exactly like that for my daughter withing a year or so. Great cars. I've had 2 Fusions and 1 MKZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back