Comma X-Tech 5w30 oil, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have expirience with Comma X-Tech 5w30 oil (ACEA A5/B5, which is recommended spec for my KIA)?

https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/171/XTC5L

My only concern is this is full SAPS oil (A5), and my car is gasoline engine with TWC, but it is recomended by the user manual ACEA A5, so I guess it shouldnt be a problem, but I feel a little bit more confortable with ACEA C2 because of TWC .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BobGoblin
Does anybody have expirience with Comma X-Tech 5w30 oil (ACEA A5/B5, which is recommended spec for my KIA)?

https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/171/XTC5L

My only concern is this is full SAPS oil (A5), and my car is gasoline engine with TWC, but it is recomended by the user manual ACEA A5, so I guess it shouldnt be a problem, but I feel a little bit more confortable with ACEA C2 because of TWC .

Like so many of these weird European oils that get posted, the approvals and certifications are sketchy. It only has that Ford and the Jaguar approvals. The rest are recommendations and not actual certifications (including A5/B5).

Is there such a paucity of oils in Europe that do have actual approvals and certifications that one must resort to this kind of oil?

There is a great discount, so I can get 4L for 15eur. So why not if it is an OK oil. Comma is part of ExxonMobil group, at least it was until 2012.

Last edited:
You are free to use it if you think it is an "OK" oil. I was just pointing out that when you said it was ACEA A5/B5, it does not have that actual certification.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Is there such a paucity of oils in Europe that do have actual approvals and certifications that one must resort to this kind of oil?

As a European living in NA, I had the same feeling, but for American oils when I was looking for some A3/B4, lol !

Kidding aside, there are a lot of small oil companies that perhaps resort to some discutable marketing to get market shares between "giants" like Total, BP/Castrol (where are they headquartered now BTW ?), Ravenol, Shell, etc, so maybe that's why you have that feeling.

Comma is a relatively discreet but relatively well regarded company IMO, I even think one member here used to do some formulations for Comma.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Notice API SL in the fine print. thats an older spec.

Which is also a recommendation
smile.gif

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Notice API SL in the fine print. thats an older spec.

If it higher ZDDP and Moly than SN oils, being SL may make it more desirable.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Does it go on sale or have a rebate? If not move along.

Yeah, it is on 50% sale I you buy 4 canisters (4x 4L, so 16L for about 55 eur, and discount lasts only 2 days). I will give it a try, and change it every 7500 km anyways as I do with any oil. Maybe in between I do one Shell Helix ultra pro AP-L (which is super expensive - 10 eur per liter) cycle to wash the engine a little bit more.

Last edited:
Comma is a big company that makes plenty of good fluids, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I had X-Flow Type G 5w40 in my Volvo for a while and had no problems whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back