Diesel engines and emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did DPF and urea systems go into production? I'm interested in a class A or Class C rv to replace my travel trailer. Will probably look at used, but was curious how old i would have to go to avoid the dpf and regeneration systems.

Thanks

2007 for DPF & 2011 for DEF. Now this is for the Engine manufacturing date.....You can have a 2007 year model chassis with a engine made on December 31, 2006 & it doesn't have to meet 2007 emissions standards!
This is why you find a lot of 2007 LBZ Duramax, 5.9L Cummins & 6.0L Powerstrokes.

Unless you live in the few states/counties that enforce diesel emissions.......Deletion of the DPF & DEF is always an option.

Thanks! Is is difficult or expensive to delete? What Diesel platform would you recommend? Say in the 2005-2012 years?

8.3 Cummins was a great engine in a Class A coach, in a larger coach a Pre Emissions Series 60 Detroit is also a good bet.

In a diesel I prefer an engine with liners over a parent bore block for the ability to repair in frame if required. Thks rules out the B series Cummins 5.9/6.7, 3208 Cat, 6.0/6.4/6.7/6.9/7.3 Ford/IHC/Navistar, 6.6 Duramax. But in a pusher in the year range you're looking at most of those engines aren't a factor anyway.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Thanks! Is is difficult or expensive to delete? What Diesel platform would you recommend? Say in the 2005-2012 years?

They are actively cracking down on "canned" delete calibrations, I would recommend either buying tuning software or having it tuned locally. I can help with HP-Tuners if needed.

The rest is Exhaust work, Removing the DEF components if equipped, & Securing the unused wiring.....You must delete the ninth injector on LML Duramax engines.

There are too many variables for me to estimate a cost.

GM, Ford, & Freightliner make great RV chassis. The Dodge 4500/5500 & Navistar chassis do good as well. The coach build quality make MUCH more difference than the chassis it's assembled on!!!!!

If your not looking a Diesel Pusher, Maybe something like a 2006/2007 LBZ/Allison 2000 Chevy/GMC 5500 cab/chassis in the high 30' foot long range.

[Linked Image]

In my opinion, I agree.

Worked on a couple of those. Open the front clip and the engine may as well be out of the truck on a stand. I'd rather work on a Duramax in that chassis than in the pickup trucks. So that makes it not only easier than a pusher, but also easier than a regular diesel pickup.

Anything post 2006, avoid diesel at all costs. Go older or go gas.

My work truck is less than 3 weeks removed from a new exhaust filter (a cool ten grand...wholesale), and the CEL was off for-exactly-one hundred miles.

That is why I went a rather unique way. I ordered a 2013 Freightliner truck without a motor or trans and dropped in a factory remanned MY2000 Series 60 pre-emissions motor and factory remanned 18 speed trans. All legal, titled, and registered. it is really too bad that other OEM's do not provide truck chassis / body thru their parts stream with their truck builds so this same thing can be done by potential buyers. It is legal and allowed by EPA. it was when I bought mine, and it is still legal to this very day. The concept is no different than doing a kit vehicle build in your garage, except the OEM is assembling the truck chassis / body for you and you finish the job by dropping in the motor and trans and hooking everything up.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

My work truck is less than 3 weeks removed from a new exhaust filter (a cool ten grand...wholesale), and the CEL was off for-exactly-one hundred miles.

Thats the kind of stuff that worries me about diesel. How expensive is the delete option?

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
That is why I went a rather unique way. I ordered a 2013 Freightliner truck without a motor or trans and dropped in a factory remanned MY2000 Series 60 pre-emissions motor and factory remanned 18 speed trans. All legal, titled, and registered. it is really too bad that other OEM's do not provide truck chassis / body thru their parts stream with their truck builds so this same thing can be done by potential buyers. It is legal and allowed by EPA. it was when I bought mine, and it is still legal to this very day. The concept is no different than doing a kit vehicle build in your garage, except the OEM is assembling the truck chassis / body for you and you finish the job by dropping in the motor and trans and hooking everything up.

I think they cracked down on glider kits. Fitzgerald got hit hard earlier this year and had to pull back a bunch of their sponsorships when the EPA limited what they were allowed to do.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Thats the kind of stuff that worries me about diesel. How expensive is the delete option?

6.7 powerstroke (2011-present), full delete of egr and dpf, plus custom tune and tuner, usually between 2K and 3K. This includes parts, tuner, software and labor. Not sure about other models.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker

I think they cracked down on glider kits. Fitzgerald got hit hard earlier this year and had to pull back a bunch of their sponsorships when the EPA limited what they were allowed to do.

They cracked down on the number of kits any one entity can build for others. 300 max per calendar year now. But the overall number that can be made is unchanged. Anyone can buy the truck from Freightliner and put in the engine in their own shop if they wanted to. A dealer is not required to do the actual assembly.

Last edited:

If sticking with a Duramax C4500/C5500......The LMM 2007-2010 will be the cheapest to delete.

HP-Tuners MPVI-2 Interface....$300.00
HP-Tuners '01-'10 Kodiak/TopKick single vehicle credits....$100.00
EGR Block Plate......@$20.00.
Exhaust.....I don't know of a company that makes DPF delete kits for Kodiak/TopKick chassis, But you can modify a LB7/LLY/LBZ light duty exhaust system to fit. The last one of these I did.....I used THIS

Requires welding & fabrication skills to make it fit, You can either leave the Pre-NOX Catalyst in place of delete it.
To delete the DPF & Pre-NOX Cat using the above kit.....I expect a shop to charge @$300 in labor.

Like I stated earlier.....I will help with the tuning process IF you go the Duramax/HP-Tuners route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back