Leaving cars sit for 1 month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuel stabilizer is absolutely not needed unless the fuel in your tank is already many months old (not likely). Bumping tire pressures up to the top of the normal range makes sense. I see no need to go above 40 psi. unless you have known leakers and already pump your tires up several times each month. My summer car sits in the garage for 2-4 weeks all during the winter. The only thing I do is try to drive once a month....and float the battery every couple of weeks...but even that isn't needed with a monthly drive.

Last edited:
I have a Ford F150 that sometimes sits for six weeks. It always starts up and runs great. Also consider that quite a few cars will sit on a dealers lot for a month without being started. You don't need to do anything.

Originally Posted by dave1251
When I was a single Sailor I would just leave my vehicle parked in the lot for weeks/months at a time. Not a single issue. ...
Long-ago cars didn't have the parasitic drain modern ones do. That alone can deflate a battery in a couple of months, aside from the battery's self-discharge.

Originally Posted by Rohan
I do not have battery charger for each car. All of the car has almost brand new battery. So if battery is dead I can replace it under warranty.

Two Mecredes used 93 octane from shell and Toyota/Honda used 87 octane.

My questions is:

1)How much gas need to be in the car with fuel stabilizer? I can put in sentry fuel treatment if I can find it local.

2) Can I increase the tires pressure to 50 psi to save wears from sitting.

I do not want to inform anything to my insurance company because then they will increase the price. I already have full coverage on all of my cars.

I can put mouse moth ball on each tires.

To answer your questions:

1) Add exactly 0.0 oz of stabilizer to your fuel. If you do anything, store the tanks full.

2) Leave your tires be - they'll be fine.

If your car is not warmer than nearby structures and has nothing in it they want (food/nesting material/water), then mice will likely setup shop elsewhere. I did some research as a new home-owner and most sites said that things that smell or make noise do nothing to deter mice. They either want what's there too much to care or they don't care at all.

Disconnect the battery would be it. My Jeep and truck often sit for 5 to 6 months, they have battery disconnect switches that I flip. Otherwise do nothing.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Maybe some fuel stabilizer?
21.gif

+1

I have gone on deployment for 4 to 6 months come back and fire the car up.

Trans Am will sit for months at time. No issues.

1 month? I wouldn't do anything.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by Imp4
1. Remove key from ignition
2. Leave for one month
3. Return and start car
4. Enjoy.....

You missed a step.

Lock doors.

Except for those vehicles that have a trickle charge going out of the battery....surprised no one said to check owner's manual....so read the manual, see if it's ok to leave it for a month. If it is, no worries.

Oh, and have a great vacation!! Where you headed?

I have gone out of country several times for 4 to 5 week periods. I did nothing with the vehicles we owned. They started up and ran just fine.

One month is not too long. If you were to say several months then you would need to accommodate that.

As long as your battery is in good shape you are good to go.

Don't do anything. Last year I let my Mustang sit from November to April under the carport and didn't do anything other than put a trickle charger on the battery.

FWIW, a small pull start outboard engine I owned once sat unused in a storage room for 10 or 12 years. I hooked up the tank, choked it and she started up on the 2nd or 3rd pull.

As just about everyone else has suggested, do not overthink it.

Originally Posted by wtd
Don't do anything. Last year I let my Mustang sit from November to April under the carport and didn't do anything other than put a trickle charger on the battery.

And make sure it's a good trickle charger. I won't use anything other than Battery Minders anymore. Have had batteries go completely dead under the care of both Tenders and the Harbor Freight knockoffs.

Any of my cars are liable to sit for more than a month at a time. I never do anything. One thing I did learn is that on our old BMW E60, if you didn't lock the doors and keep the key a fair distance away during storage, it would drain the battery in a few weeks. With the keys far away and the doors locked, I suspect it could sit for much longer.

I put a batttery tender on, top off my tank and add fuel stablizer. It sounds like adding fuel stabilizer isn't the consensus. Maybe it's not needed.

I'm sorry this came back up. I thought about it buying the battery minder. Anyone know good one that won't explode anything while I'm gone. Maybe shut off in auto once battery is charge and with lower current. Buying it for mecredes because mecredes has too many electronic issues after it sit for long time.

2011 e350 has 1 month old on battery = Duracell agm battery

2000 ml55 has almost 1 year old = autocraft battery agm from advanced auto parts

Last edited:
I would and do nothing. I normally park for two weeks at a time.
Drive4-500 miles. Park. Two weeks later start up and drive same distance home. All is good. During the two weeks I am with the vehicle at home I drive it as needed.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Maybe some fuel stabilizer?
21.gif

+1

As it was already mentioned, absolutely not necessary. Fuel won't go bad in one month, it won't even go bad in 3 months. I really wouldn't worry unless it got past 6 months. There are lots of used cars that sit on dealers lots longer than 3 months and don't have a problem.

Originally Posted by Rohan
I'm sorry this came back up. I thought about it buying the battery minder. Anyone know good one that won't explode anything while I'm gone. Maybe shut off in auto once battery is charge and with lower current. Buying it for mecredes because mecredes has too many electronic issues after it sit for long time.

2011 e350 has 1 month old on battery = Duracell agm battery

2000 ml55 has almost 1 year old = autocraft battery agm from advanced auto parts

AGM's are designed to be low self-discharge, I wouldn't worry about them.

I would look at Ctek for the Mercedes not just for while your gone but to top them off a couple times a year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back