Bought a Model 3 for wifey

Status
Not open for further replies.
My coworker has the model 3. Holy ____ that thing is fast!

I'm really surprised with how many they are selling; apparently over 200K a year.

A while back there were "woodgrain cutouts" made for specific cars. It was peel and stick for plastic dashboards.

Someone should make "grille" stickers for Tesla owners.

Just curious but is there any points on the vehicle that require lubrication?

Also, I wonder what the turn around time would be for repair of body damage. Around here deer seem to hit every vehicle on the road this time of the year.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
That picture looks fake as [censored].

I pulled this pic off a Google search.
Our car is at Tesla's Fremont plant; we take delivery later this week.
To get the tax rebate, you have to take a car in inventory; ordering a car will get you next year's rebate which I believe is half.

I apologize if anyone is offended; that was not my intension.
I simply wanted to show you the car.

Funny thing: Sue's father bought a 1965 4-4-2 back in the day; it was built in the same plant.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
That picture looks fake as [censored].

One thing I've noticed with the stock photos of the Model 3 is that they make the car look longer than it actually is. In real life it's fairly stubby looking.

Originally Posted by Rat407
Just curious but is there any points on the vehicle that require lubrication?

Also, I wonder what the turn around time would be for repair of body damage. Around here deer seem to hit every vehicle on the road this time of the year.

I asked about service schedule. The young man said at 13K you bring it in; there are some fluids that may need attention.
The car has 4 year bumper to bumper warranty.
I am not really sure what's what with these cars, service wise, to tell you the truth.

I asked about battery life; he said the cars, including the Model S, are too new to know for sure.
The batteries will lose range over time; this is well known.
That is one reason many people buy the long range (300 plus miles) cars. Ours is 260 plus.

Regarding service and body work, there are a number of shops in the Bay Area because there are a lotta Teslas running around here.
And Super Chargers as well.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Congrats. Did you trade the RX450h?

I am thinking about getting one for myself. The config I want with AutoPilot and the long-range battery is about $60K. Do you know if there is an online listing of available inventory?

The dealers check inventory as you sit there. Since the white paint is a $2,000 option, Sue asked about a black/black car in the same configuration. There was none.
I considered a black/black with the long range battery, similiar to your car.
Since black paint is standard, the long range option netted out a $5,000. We had already pulled the trigger.

Your configuration (long range) is very popular so they make more. Good luck.

I am sure Elon will figure out something to offset the reduced federal tax rebate for next years' sales. He's gotta sell cars, right?
Also, CA offers a $2,500 rebate for those with a $150K or less income resulting in a $10K total.

The RX is safely in the garage. We have too many cars now...
Critic, do not test drive the car unless you are ready to write a check. These cars are something special.

Last edited:
Also don't test drive performance model 3 if the other model 3 is available for test drive. Don't make the same mistake that I did but in my defense they did not have the other model 3 for test drive.

I still owe pictures to you guys.

The car itself must be about 55K. I saw one charging next to a Volt, they looked very close to the same size. I was looking at Volts where I live and I could get one for less than 21K out the door with rebates/credits. Electric for heat in the winter is an issue for a battery. Depends on one's situation I would guess. I don't see the problem with showing a stock photo and not saying this is a stock photo, it is showing what the car looks like.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, OP, but have a serious question: Are the Model 3's having issues with suspension components failing, like Model S's have? A neighbor had an A-arm failure on their very low mile Model S, with resulting loss of control of the car. Which is apparently not uncommon.

Originally Posted by Vikas
Also don't test drive performance model 3 if the other model 3 is available for test drive. Don't make the same mistake that I did but in my defense they did not have the other model 3 for test drive.

I still owe pictures to you guys.

Vikas, with CA sales tax and registration, the Performance option would shoot the heck outta $100,000.
FYI, they have all the models for test.
The #1 seller is the AWD Long Range configuration. That's a $7,000 option on top of our model.
Our car is 0 to 60 in 5.4 seconds; the AWD is 4.something and yours is 3.something.

All good.

That is nice. When I went, they only had performance models. They had non-performance one but somebody bought it before I could test drive it.
The thing is that whichever one you drive would be so better than your current vehicle (for most of you; NOT ALL!), you would be ecstatic with your choice.
The AWD_LR probably makes some sense in New England winter as the range gets drastically affected by cold. For somebody in CA, RWD_MR is the most cost effective choice. Plus your area has lot more super chargers than in New England. For example, there is none on my usual commute and thus I have so far not even visited the super charger.

The thing is that whichever one you drive would be so better than your current vehicle (for most of you; NOT ALL!), you would be ecstatic with your choice.
The AWD_LR probably makes some sense in New England winter as the range gets drastically affected by cold. For somebody in CA, RWD_MR is the most cost effective choice. Plus your area has lot more super chargers than in New England. For example, there is none on my usual commute and thus I have so far not even visited the super charger.

Yeah, we have 3 Tesla "dealers" in the South Bay; no more than 15 miles from our house. They have quit a few demo cars which will go for sale at some point in time. A friend at work bought a $100K plus Model S for like $80K.
They do have you drive a car with the performance level you are interested in.
The salesman told me the reason the long range AWD cars are popular as people feel that is a hedge against battery degradation.
FYI, Lexus sells a ton of AWD RX SUVs here, way more than 2WD. In CA we are scared of rain cuz we hardly ever see it.
At work, the high tech companies have chargers that they subsidize. Many people never charge at home.
They ding you if you don't move your car after it is charged. Ha!

Enjoy your car. I am looking into a Super Charger now, if you have any good advice.

Why are *you* looking at supercharger? It is NOT *your* car ! Trust me, you will most likely never get to drive it ever again :)

Why are *you* looking at supercharger? It is NOT *your* car ! Trust me, you will most likely never get to drive it ever again :)

Dang! I hate it when that happens...

Drive one first and then ask this question. No seriously, get a test drive in Model 3 and other comparable similarly priced (with net after incentive price) 4 door "sporty" sedan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back