fuel additive for gas vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ugabulldog
so if I buy cheap gas (I buy it because it is cheap but also the freshest due to busiest station) and E10, then I should use a bottle of Chevron techron every 3k miles?

This is going to require you do a little math. It may be cheaper to run TopTier than purchase a bottle of techron every 3k on top of the cheap gas, just depends on how much you're saving by using the cheap gas.

Originally Posted by ugabulldog
I decided to go with opti-lube xpd (highest rated in tests and no alcohol)

What tests did you look at?

Yes , fuel systems and gas tanks on modern cars are pretty protected. Not sure if they are airtight.
I've seen a few videos in which separation in a small test tube is minutes - pouring an ounce or two of water along with the gas.
Chemistry is not my strong suit, so please disprove if condensation and humidity could not get in the gas at large enough volume in the first place. Ethanol should absorb humidity, right?

Last edited:
I live out in the country, not near a top tier station, sounds like most recommend additive and it does help (vs being "snake oil") Also that Chevron Techron or Gumout Regane (have heard this is good also) is a good product and not going to cause issues that aren't there to begin with and that

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DrDanger
Yes , fuel systems and gas tanks on modern cars are pretty protected. Not sure if they are airtight.

Most cars since the 80's are - -

and starting in the 90's with OBD-II you can get a "gas cap light" (like on my Windstar)

or a "check engine light" if the gas cap isn't tight or failed seal.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Just use top tier in anything used regularly.

If it sits or is used infrequently, I always dose it with Marine Stabil. All my OPE gas is treated with Stabil, given it can sit for a long time.

I've had no issues with that regimen.

^this
The original question is not clearly stated, but it sounds like the OP is trying to avoid any issues while storing gasoline long-term.
Any engine run regularly will not need gas additives often, if at all... *maybe* a fuel system cleaner once every 6-12 months. I use fuel additives more frequently than this and I am trying hard to wean off, it's a bit of OCD I have with my vehicles. Anyway, there are many examples of automotive engines with 150,000+ miles that are squeaky clean inside and run perfectly, given just pump gas and basic maintenance... and often not even top tier gas. Nearly all gas sold in the U.S. has robust additive package with plenty of detergents.

DGXR: I agree I have the same OCD!

I am so thankful I don't smoke/dip/drink heavy/do drugs cause those OCDs would cost me 10X more a Month then what my small fuel additive OCD costs.

At least my very small fuel additive fetish causes No Harm.

TC-W3 @ 640:1 / Red Line SI-1 / Gumout All-in-One - One-N-Done

Refueling @: On Cue / Shell / Loves Country Stores over the past 32 yrs have never caused a fuel system related issue.

Originally Posted by -SyN-
I am so thankful I don't smoke/dip/drink heavy/do drugs cause those OCDs would cost me 10X more a Month then what my small fuel additive OCD costs.

My exact reason for being able to justify using the 'too costly/not necessary' top tier, 'semi-boutique' oils, and 'wastefully" changing them out @ 5K miles.

Usually the critique on here comes from those who MUST; smoke a carton a day (or high falutin' seegars), maybe do drugs of various sorts, and drink those 'costly' (to me) single malts they brag about so much.
I also don't 'pay Tony (Soprano)' by gambling AT ALL ON ANYTHING, so I have that coin to use on oils/car parts/mods as well, from not being compelled to do that 'manly' activity.
lol.gif

To each their own.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by -SyN-
DGXR: I agree I have the same OCD!

At least my very small fuel additive fetish causes No Harm.

TC-W3 @ 640:1 / Red Line SI-1 / Gumout All-in-One - One-N-Done

Refueling @: On Cue / Shell / Loves Country Stores over the past 32 yrs have never caused a fuel system related issue.

Amen to that, SyN! I used to smoke and drink heavily but after giving that up 10 years ago, I guess this is my new obsession! HAHA
laugh.gif

I will begin a TC-W3 regimen (long-term/maintenance) after burning through my current stash of gas additives which includes various quantities of StaBil ethanol treatment, Techron, SeaFoam, and Lucas fuel treatment.

Originally Posted by red7404
TC-W3. synthetic. 1 oz for 5 gal. i had been using MMO.

That is my plan. Some research indicates it's OK to go a little less than 1 oz to 5 gal (e.g. 1 oz to 6 gal), but go too far and the benefits drop off sharply.

Last edited:
I have never ran techron in my vehicle. What I usually do is I get superior motoring benefits high mileage treatment,performance octane booster, super gas treatment, and fuel injector cleaner every year. I pour one in every week till all is gone.

Amsoil PI before every oil change. I also use top tier fuel. The yard equipment uses my home brew E0 roughly 93 octane. Five gallons of E10 93 and 30oz of water. Ethanol and water mixes together but doesn't with the gas. Drain the water out and add some octane booster. Been doing this for a year and a half and both Honda and Sthil run awesome on it.

I would say get superior motoring benefits from the dollar tree. I know it's from the dollar tree. Some people are skeptical about it, but it works. If you want to hear the rest of the story go under fuel and fuel additives under SMB products. I have tried super gas treatment, fuel injector cleaner, and high mileage fuel treatment, all three bottle for just three dollars. Comparing that to gumout all system cleaner at Walmart for thirteen dollars, and from the dollar tree you get 2x the concentration. So my obviously would go dollar tree.

with TC-W3 i have no trouble. i use 1 oz per 5 gal. on a 2016 Frontier V6, auto trans. and drive 50-60 MPH a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back