First repair on Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing how Mopar started using ECM/PCM controlled charging before everyone else did, I can see a dealer tech putting the blame on the PCM since there isn't a hard and fast test to rule out a bad voltage regulator. Toyota and Honda also use identical Denso alternators.

The PCM could be using PWM to regulate how strong the field/excitement current within the alternator and the bench test isn't looking at how the alt behaves under PCM control.

So, apparently I spoke too soon. The problem has returned, so it will be going back to the dealer. Interior lights flicker like a disco. I'll probably be driving a Trackhawk for the remainder of the week, depending on the timeline of repair. Really upset about 707HP on tap
grin.gif

I have gotten a few recall letters for both my 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland and 2016 Ram Limited for the alternators. I have been ignoring them. Funny you mention because my interior dome lamp on the RAM will sometimes flicker a little with motor running....time to check into that. Thanks!

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I have gotten a few recall letters for both my 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland and 2016 Ram Limited for the alternators. I have been ignoring them. Funny you mention because my interior dome lamp on the RAM will sometimes flicker a little with motor running....time to check into that. Thanks!

Since I have the SRT pages and can monitor voltage, I'm still getting wild swings. It was solid for about the first day or two and then started to vary again. Yesterday it was between 11.5 and 16V on the gauge and the corresponding activity of the interior lights indicate that the issue is still definitely present.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by GMBoy

Since I have the SRT pages and can monitor voltage, I'm still getting wild swings. It was solid for about the first day or two and then started to vary again. Yesterday it was between 11.5 and 16V on the gauge and the corresponding activity of the interior lights indicate that the issue is still definitely present.

Mine is not and SRT with that awesome feature, but I can see Volts and other gauges individually in the DIC so I will leave that display on and see if there are spikes.

Welllllll we think it is fixed this time. The main ground from the battery to the body was apparently loose. Key off, he had 11V at the diag port, touched the wire and all of a sudden it was 10. Snugged it down significantly and now running voltage is 14.4-14.7 constant at this point and the interior lights are no longer flickering. Fingers crossed that's all it was but definitely seems like the likely culprit.

Yeah, fingers crossed here that this is all it was. It was good for two days when the alt was swapped too, but the guy doing the work said he wiggled that lead when he was looking for a bad ground and that likely restored contact and was subsequently why that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back