Mann filter does not have bypass or ADBV - Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happened to me with closeout CQ Blue filters from RA-they had Cat oil filters listed as fitting a 7.3 Ford Powerstroke engine, obvious listing error, they wouldn't take them back. That's the last RA oil filters I ever bought from them.

Oddly enough, I've had nothing but good experiences with RA in the past. I buy a lot of closeout stuff from them, a handful have been incorrect parts over the years-- typically something labeled for my application but simply doesn't fit or is intended for my model vehicle but different engine, rear end, transmission, etc. Every time this has happened, I fill out the online form or call, and they've either refunded my money, and even a couple times, sent me a new (non-closeout) part that was correct at no charge, and always had me keep the old one.

One time I ordered some closeout splitfire spark plugs, and in transit 3 or 4 of the crush washers somehow escaped from the packaging (Fedex didn't help and crushed the outer carton all to [censored]). I called RA and explained the situation expecting a partial credit or new washers, but they sent a whole new set of plugs out and had me keep the old ones.

This experience is very unlike my other ones-- but blatant disregard for such a significant error in their catalog will have me shopping around a lot more for my parts purchases in an effort to avoid RA.

strange, I've only had 2 instances with Rockauto but they were dealt with properly

once i ordered balljoints for my pickup and only received 3 of them, when i contacted them about it they agreed that one was missing because of the shipping weight and they shipped the missing one right away and was delivered 2 days later.

another time i ordered 2 hydraulic filters for my tractor and only received one but i was charged for 2 of them. I contacted them about it and said I only received one of them and they were welcome to ship me another or just refund me for the one, and they refunded the one filter immediately the following day.

Don't let this bad experience with RA taint your opinion of them. They are still a good company to do work with and in their defense, it is after the 30 days. I personally think their clearance filters are a bit sketchy anyways.. You can get oil filters for less than $3 at Walmart and NAPA.

I've bought stuff from them for a project and let it sit passed the 30 day mark only to find an issue and am unable to return it. I just chalked it up as lesson learned.

The part I had an issue with was an idler arm.. For whatever reason, the part didn't fit my truck and made the front end geometry incorrect. The p/n I received was what was listed online as well as on the box. Had the truck aligned and it was almost as bad as before. Had to pay for another alignment and markup on a cheap [censored] AC Delco part from the shop. I tried returning the old arm to the manufacturer to see if it was defective and they sent me one for a 2WD. My emails were clear with my model info so I just gave up. Everything went in the trash.

Whenever I shop, my expectation is the item selected is fit for the application that was entered.

In this case, the Mann filter is not fit for the application. Mann does not offer a filter for this application.

I have used Rock Auto in the past and they gave great service. I will continue to use them but I also will check the part manufacturer's site for proper fit.

Once advised of the mistake, Rock Auto should fix the error. No questions asked.

If it happened to me, I would be ——ed.

It's over now, if the media doesn't have a hole in it the oil was still going through it all the time, and the drain valve isn't so critical in your case. There is a bypass valve in the oil pump if pressure spikes too high. If items are sold too cheap there is a reason for it. They got them somewhere even cheaper, old stock, surplus stock, etc. I hate it when a rep starts quoting what is shown in the catalog. Of course there is also the fact they don't want to be liable for anything. and want the problem to fade away.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
It's over now, if the media doesn't have a hole in it the oil was still going through it all the time, and the drain valve isn't so critical in your case. There is a bypass valve in the oil pump if pressure spikes too high. If items are sold too cheap there is a reason for it. They got them somewhere even cheaper, old stock, surplus stock, etc. I hate it when a rep starts quoting what is shown in the catalog. Of course there is also the fact they don't want to be liable for anything. and want the problem to fade away.

Who said it had a hole in the media?

I have had the same experience when rock auto says the part is for your vehicle but clearly isn't and was told they weren't going to pay to ship the part back. I swore off them for a while after that but now verify part numbers before buying just due to the cost savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back