New Car- Luxury

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove a S90 T6
Got to take it on the Interstate and that sealed its fate
Very minor road imperfections sent the steering wheel jittering about
Road feel was zilch and you were constantly reminded this was a 4 cylinder.
This thing danced on the road like a ballerina.

It had nice features but in my mind this car was $20K over priced.

Not even impressed with the exterior.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Subaru close by? For 2018 they got serious about earlier wind noise complaints in the Outback/Legacy and put laminated side window glass in the front doors and I find it pretty quiet on the highway. I suspect its the cheapest car to have laminated side window glass standard. The 4 is nearly silent in regular cruising but the 6 is supposed to be a bit quieter still at cruise, and make more pleasant sounds under moderate and high acceleration and rpms.

I kinda second that. Even pre-2018 the highway noise is fairly good... but if you were coming from a laminated side glass vehicle, I can see the complaint. I would say Subaru is very good as a cruiser for the average "non-luxury" brands. The 4 can be noisy when it has to kick down.

The downside to Subaru is the seats. My wife likes them, I am willing to sell the car just because of them (injury has made them uncomfortable).

Yes the seats made all of their vehicles a no go for me too.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
I also revisited a Chrysler 300
Had one many years ago.
Not my cup of tea.
A floater is fine but my 78 Cordoba had the same suspension...………
This in my mind is econo luxury

Agreed.

Since you mentioned SUVs in your opening post, I'd take a look at the Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes GLS, Lexus LX and Infiniti QX80 as well as Audi Q7.

I do think a SUV is the way to go.
I have one in mind but it has spotty reliability but I know the dealership
and they do take care of everything.
I need to sit in them and drive.
New is what I decided I'd go with.
If need be I will go up in $$$ as required.
Audi isn't close but I know dealer that is good and I do like their rides
smile.gif

Looked into Genesis and most dealers have nothing on the lot around here.
Really!

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by Zee09
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-cars/continental/

Agreed!
My local Lincoln dealers disappeared....
I just hope they de-forded the seats. That was my only gripe.
They treated me right too and the price is very reasonable.
They get great reviews.

Lincoln is doomed. The Lincoln dealers can't make any money without having Mercurys or trucks to sell. Ford will kill-off the brand within the next 5 years. Mark my words. I wouldn't pay $50k for a car from a company that is facing this kind of fate.

Trying to get limo business back like when the Town Car dominated this sector

Airport limo.PNG

Limo2.PNG

Last edited:
I'm really surprised they are going back to suicide doors. They were called that for a reason. It seems to smack more of sentiment than anything else.

My wife, who is short, loves the seats on her Subaru, and the AWD is great for Michigan winters. . If you are tall/large the seats are not that comfortable because of the short seat cushion length. The Outback is extremely practical and upper trim versions have just about every luxury and safety feature you might reasonably want, and get good mileage. I'd also look at a Subaru Ascent which is on the new global platform and better in every way then the Outback. The visibility is really excellent, and you won't worry much about dents in the parking lot (compared with a luxury vehicle) and it seats 7.

Pricing up I'd look at a Toyota Avalon Hybrid or Lexus ES350. The Avalon is a litter bigger and gets excellent mileage - over 40 mpg. You'll easily get 15 years and 250K out of either. I don't like the poor rear visibility in the Impala, but since they are discontinued you might be able to get a close-out deal on one. Repairs are going to be a lot cheaper on a Toyota than any luxury brand.

Next tier - Audi Q7& Lexus RX-L - about the nicest reasonably priced luxury SUVs you will find. I'd stay away from MB, Volvo, and Jaguar because of reliability and/or quirky controls. If you are leasing that is a different story. BMW is more reliable but pricing escalates once you equip them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back