Are there any new sedans capable of 300k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac

I'm much older than you and I appreciate much of the modern technology in today's vehicles. I would not want to go back.

I'm 61, and while I don't like each and every bit of new technology fitted to today's vehicles, I do realize that some of them actually make a vehicle better.

If technology such as DI and an 8 speed automatic can give me a car that runs the quarter in the high twelves AND returns over 25 mpg in daily driving, then I'm all for it....

Originally Posted by MCompact

I'm much older than you and I appreciate much of the modern technology in today's vehicles. I would not want to go back.

I'm 61, and while I don't like each and every bit of new technology fitted to today's vehicles, I do realize that some of them actually make a vehicle better.

If technology such as DI and an 8 speed automatic can give me a car that runs the quarter in the high twelves AND returns over 25 mpg in daily driving, then I'm all for it....

That is possible!

This is from my '16 Challenger on a short 6 hour road trip down to Key West, with a tick over 3000 miles on the odometer. And variable valve timing doesn't even engage until 3750 miles, during the engine break in process.

~500HP, a 12 flat in the quarter, and great mileage!

mileage.jpg

That would be my Corvette, except it'll run the quarter mile in the mid to high 11s! My average MPG over the last OCI (which was 5578 miles) was 25.6 MPG

Originally Posted by Patman

That would be my Corvette, except it'll run the quarter mile in the mid to high 11s! My average MPG over the last OCI (which was 5578 miles) was 25.6 MPG

Careful, we're upsetting all the Prius drivers out there!

IMO your concern is misplaced. Manufacturing defects notwithstanding the drivetrain/engine of the majority of vehicles will last 150k miles or more by just following manufacturer maintenance. It doesn't matter what oil/ATF you use, nor how more frequent you change these fluids. Lubricate related failures are EXTREMELY rare. The issue is going to be the rest of the vehicle. It's the electronics and plastic components which will cause the vehicles demise and those are not maintenance items.

Any new car will give you 100K with no problems.
Most will get past 150K with few problems.
Finally, you can buy an Accord with no transmission at all.
I did.
When you have an electric motor in play, why bother with any sort of multi-speed gearbox?

Originally Posted by Traffic242

Careful, we're upsetting all the Prius drivers out there!

My daily driver is the slowpoke of the bunch, struggling to run the quarter in 12.9. That said, I actually did consider a Challenger SRT as well as a C6 Z06; I decided I wanted something smaller. I was really tempted by the SRT, but the car goes through lots of 20" tires at HPDEs. Great cars regardless.

Old reliable technology...
Or any other sedan with these basics (MPI / standard transmission)

Capture.PNG

Some of the posters here are making recommendations that do NOT comply with the OP's requests, specifically...
Here is what I need to find, a mid size sedan with an automatic transmission that gets decent fuel economy in a design that lends itself to long term reliability/durability, and... a model that would be trouble free for the first 100,000 and be capable of exceeding 200,000 even approaching the 300,000 mark with good maintenance, and... he doesn't want a CVT or manual transmission.

You can argue the merits of various cars and makes that YOU prefer for whatever reason YOU prefer them, but the fact is that there are only a couple of new vehicles on the market today that have the potential of meeting most/all of the OP's requirements. You don't have to personally like Toyota products, or the Camry, but it happens to be one of the only mid size sedans available that will likely meet most/all of his requirements. The OP doesn't like the idea of using 0w-16 oil (I have reservations about this myself). He doesn't HAVE to use 0w-16 in the Camry, they are not fussy and will do just fine on 0w-20, 5w-20, 0w-30, or 5w-30 and using any of them will NOT cause any kind of oil-related engine failure. Also, for what it is worth, Toyota is not likely going to cancel production of the Camry any time soon.

I don't want to have to be any kind of a "forum cop", but when I saw recommendations for a Nissan manual, a Crown Vic, a 500hp Charger, a Corvette, and then a Kia Forte manual, I HAD to say something. None of these cars have anything to do with what the OP is looking for.

Originally Posted by wag123
I don't want to have to be any kind of a "forum cop", but when I saw recommendations for a Nissan manual, a Crown Vic, a 500hp Charger, a Corvette, and then a Kia Forte manual, I HAD to say something. None of these cars have anything to do with what the OP is looking for.

Sure, but there's no problem with other members offering alternatives based upon their experience.
I would personally not have a Corvette or a Charger, but others have found them to be very satisfactory cars.
IMHO, mainstream sedans like what the OP writes he wants are an incredible value ATM, which is the reason that I bought one.

"I'll admit I'm stuck in ~2008. No, I'm not old. I'm not even 30. But all this new tech is just 1000% unnecessary, and does nothing but drive up the cost of vehicles. It's often more problematic than helpful. Yet we wonder why the industry is in the toilet. They can't give new cars away, and every used car is selling as if there's a hundred gold bars in the trunk. It's a pretty clear indication that I'm not the only one with this mentality."

This must be a Oklahoma thing. The car industry is not in the toilet, only a few select brands. New cars are selling at a pretty good clip from what I see on the roads.

Fresh link today on BITOG Funny on the timing. I don't think I'm wrong...
21.gif

Originally Posted by knerml
I am a BIG fan of Hyundai/Kias.

However, I have problems seeing them lasting 300K mi.

Plus, I can not see keeping any car for 300K mi. Cars are getting to be like smart phones, the technology is moving too fast, to keep them for long periods of time.

That is mainly due to electronics. The less the better for vehicle longevity....all of the electronic gizmos in today's vehicles are built-in obsolescence...

Originally Posted by MotoGuzzi
What a plethera of opinions. To Imp4, you are obiously an FCA hater. I am longtime Chrysler , now FCA user. I have not had a bad experience with a Chrysler/FCA product in 45 years. Yes there have been several issues like you get with ALL vehicles but nothing to get excited about. I have never had an oil burner. Can't remember the last time I added a qt of oil between changes. Never had a transmission issue. I maintain my vehicles which is the key to long life. In recent years we had a 98 4.0 Grand Cherokee, drove it 198k miles. Bought used with 36k. Replaced an evap core at 150k, and a rear wheel bearing at 175k.. 07 3.5 Charger, bought new. Did 145k reliable miles with NO repairs other than normal maintenance. Traded for a 14 3.6 Charger bought with 16k that I drove 85k repair free before trading for a new 18 3.6 300 in April. My wife currently drives a 13 3.6 Durango, bought new that turned 100k last week and still has the OE brake pads and spark plugs. All fluids, tranny, coolant, diff and brake fluid were replaced at 70k. Other than several recalls, no repairs. All you haters can make fools of yourself slinging mud, but my experiences are real world.

What's reliable to one is unreliable to another. This is a thread for sedans that can go 300k miles. You haven't cracked 200k miles with any of your FCA vehicles. You consider less than 200k miles to be long life?

Originally Posted by Traffic242

That is possible!

This is from my '16 Challenger on a short 6 hour road trip down to Key West, with a tick over 3000 miles on the odometer. And variable valve timing doesn't even engage until 3750 miles, during the engine break in process.

~500HP, a 12 flat in the quarter, and great mileage!

Dont let them in on the secret, I am avg over 25 on my 17 SRT.

To the OP, go test drive a AWD Charger or 300 with 3.6 and 8HP50, N-S engine with an excellent transmission, 30 mpg on highway and comfortable, well sorted out car.

I would look into any non transverse engine layouts, rule out all the FWD stuff, get a better transmission that way.

When everyone says electronics what do you mean?

As there are plenty of OBD II vehicles out there with 300,000. I know he said sedans, but trucks, sports cars use the same type of electronics.

I know tons of 6.0 trucks and LS based cars with those kind of miles.

Are you talking touch screens and the like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back