Honda Pilot Oil specs US vs Overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled this manual for a 2016 Honda Pilot (that my wife drives here in US) and sure thing several different grades other than 0w20 are OK for this 3.5 engine. Again, for those in doubt whether 0w20 is prescribed due to "tight tolerances" or for any other reason (CAFE). Hope this helps

2018-12-17_6-19-19.png

my co-worker was overseas for a while and said that his company car OM recommendation were 5Wx30 , 10Wx30 and same car here is 0Wx20 ... relatively very similar climate as well!

I think when they ship the cars here, the tolerances get tighter due to the "motion of the ocean". It's not the size of the boat you know!

Ok, is it is a CAFE issue than how do you explain different oil recommendations for the Middle East and Africa, for the Philippines and Taiwan, for Korea, and for Russia? For Russia, it is based on ACEA. Is Korea so much different form Russia if they have a common border? And just imagine the climate diversity in Russia as it takes most of Asia and most of Europe from the subtropics to the coldest places on the planet. For other countries the difference is so minimal but still they decided to make separate recommendations.

I have no idea why. and it really isn't the point of my post. the point was to show the diversity of the oils that are allowed to be used in the same engine depending on geographical location.

I am still stumped by no mention of any 5W20 motor oil be it dino or syn.

My 2015 Altima is the same way.
Prefered is, 0w20 OR conventional 5w30 or 10w30(I assume synthetic 5w30 &10w30 is OK).
But no 5W20(dino or syn) is mentioned???????

Originally Posted by Char Baby

Prefered is, 0w20 OR conventional 5w30 or 10w30(I assume synthetic 5w30 &10w30 is OK).

Because 5w20 is the devil's oil
lol.gif

Originally Posted by parshisa
Again, for those in doubt whether 0w20 is prescribed due to "tight tolerances" or for any other reason (CAFE). Hope this helps

I've seen some use that argument as well as "oil passages" being designed for the US-manual-prescribed oil. They also claim conventional oil only as "the engine wasn't designed for synthetic oil".

I've looked for a non-US/Canada manual for my Infiniti G35 (2008). It was sold elsewhere as a "Skyline GT350" (or something along that name) and I've looked for a manual to see what oil it specs vs in the US it is 5W-30 only. I have found an owner's manual for my wife's Fusion - a Mondeo everywhere else. The manual I found for Ireland lists either 0W-20 or 5W-20 along with a phrase that the engine was designed with Castrol oil as preferred. Even has the Castrol logo on the pages talking about oil specs. Doesn't say you can't use other oil but they do give Castrol a plug !

Originally Posted by mclasser
Originally Posted by Char Baby

Because 5w20 is the devil's FORD'S oil
lol.gif

FIFY!

Last edited:
This merely reinforces what we already know.
Engines can run happily on a variety of grades for a very long time.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Its a shame we need 0w20 because of CAFE regulations.

What's the shame in it? Doesn't it give (as far as most can really tell) as good engine life for most applications as Xw30 would or does?

Cmon guys, don't turn this into another thin thick battle. The purpose of my post wast just to show that most of the modern engines are designed to work on different oil grades, not just one. that's it and nothing to it

Cmon guys, don't turn this into another thin thick battle. The purpose of my post wast just to show that most of the modern engines are designed to work on different oil grades, not just one. that's it and nothing to it

I see your point. But the problem is that the oil recommendations around the world are so weird that it is hard to find any logic behind them.

What other possible outcome could your topic have? This has been debated to death on here already, it is amusing you make yet another post about it and then ask it not turn into the discussion it was intended to provoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back