My brother bought this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he got an excellent car! Reputable rentals like Hertz,Enterprise,etc service their cars impeccably. I would buy one from them in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by Colt
I wouldn't buy a rental, dealer demo or loaner.

I have two Demos sitting in the driveway, not one issue.

Plus a truck that was used by the government.

Lots of hand wringers on BITOG sometims.

Funny thing about that Camry.

Hated it. Noticed that the next door neighbor to my daughter had one. Eighty plus year old woman. She banged on my daughter's door insisting that my daughter was parking in her space. My daughter pointed out that apartment numbers were clearly labeled on the spaces. Next, granny was driving her car up on some of the landscaping--rocks and all. Two or three days later, her son was cleaning out the apartment. My daughter asked him what happened and he said, "her time had come". I think that meant death and not Happy Acres.

Suddenly I think this model is actually quite attractive, at least the exterior.

I wonder if she's haunting/possessing me? Or maybe you naturally just like Camry's when your age crosses from early seventies to mid seventies.

Last edited:
my brother is 45 along with his wife; he is driving a Camry almost whole his life (Buick too) and he will keep this one till its wheels fall off; our dad who is 72 inherit his 2000 model, currently close to 300K; however, it is a total beater yet refuses to die

now that this one is in his garage he says it is a larger vehicle in every aspect inside out to his '11 model

Originally Posted by csandste
Love my Hertz and got my girlfriend (Optima) and daughter (Accent) into Hertz rentals as well. Absolutely no problems with any of them. Much cheaper than Enterprise which gets close to $2000 more (at least in the HQ St. Louis area). Almost any one year old basic car at a dealership is a rental return anyway. If they're three years old they're lease returns and the chance of someone not servicing a lease* is greater than Hertz at least skipping oil changes and basic service.

*Although I have been told that some lease returns are checked for service records-- also heard that's BS.

I agree. I would take a rental that may have been driven hard but had maintenance done vs a lease that was driven hard and no maintenance done.
Rental fleets are taken care of for the most part, if there is an issue, it gets fixed. They maintain them so they don't have problems in their life with the company, cheaper in the long run for them.

I had an '05 Grand Caravan that was bought as a CPO rental return. 38,000 miles when we got it, almost 100,000 when we traded it with no major repairs (but was going to need a rack and pinion replacement soon).

Certainly looks very nice, clean imo. Having no experience purchasing a rental I have no idea how to rate the purchase price. Off the top of my head, doesn't seem unreasonable.

I have read that rentals are generally better maintained/serviced than leases, which seems to make sense.

Anyway, I hope it provides many years of reliable service for your brother and family.

That's a good deal, our camry was a rental with clean Carfax when we bought it in 13, not a single problem to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back