Mopar - Hellephant 1000HP crate engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mopar will be offering a crate engine called the the "Hellephant." It's a modern 426 Hemi engine with 1000 horsepower and 950 lb-ft of torque. Wonder what the Dodge Demon will run in the 1/4 mile with one of these in the engine bay?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
4 days ago

I don't think it's much different from the Demon engine - just unburdened from cats and a powertrain.

Hellcat is a 6.2l hemi with a 2.4l supercharger.
Demon is a 6.2l hemi with a 2.7l supercharger.
Hellephant is a 7l hemi with a 3l supercharger.

they did say it's "only for vehicles older than 1976"... i assume that's their way of telling us it won't pass emissions...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earlyre
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
4 days ago

I don't think it's much different from the Demon engine - just unburdened from cats and a powertrain.

Hellcat is a 6.2l hemi with a 2.4l supercharger.
Demon is a 6.2l hemi with a 2.7l supercharger.
Hellephant is a 7l hemi with a 3l supercharger.

they did say it's "only for vehicles older than 1976"... i assume that's their way of telling us it won't pass emissions...

Or the cars it will fit in....

Just dreaming of that engine in my Jeep! I wonder what the price will be? North of $15k? Then I'd have to put at least Dana 60's on there, a transfer case out of a Terex, and a heavy duty transmission from a Ram. I'd probably be looking at $30k, maybe a little more to get it right.

Well, I can dream, at least.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Just dreaming of that engine in my Jeep! I wonder what the price will be? North of $15k? Then I'd have to put at least Dana 60's on there, a transfer case out of a Terex, and a heavy duty transmission from a Ram. I'd probably be looking at $30k, maybe a little more to get it right.

I doubt any stock application trans would hold up to hot rod use. The trans would cost as much or more as the motor at those power levels.

Just dreaming of that engine in my Jeep! I wonder what the price will be? North of $15k?

North of $15K. Well duh. WELL north of $15K. Probably closer to $50,000 or more.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Just dreaming of that engine in my Jeep! I wonder what the price will be? North of $15k?

North of $15K. Well duh. WELL north of $15K. Probably closer to $50,000 or more.

pricing not announced yet, but expect it to be well north of the $20k they charge for the "Hellcrate"( Hellcat crate engine)

Hmmmm, very interesting....

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sh...llcat-crate-engine-taken-to-the-extreme/

The Chrysler Gen III Hemi has larger basic dimensions than GM's LS engine, so it's not a big problem to get it out to 426 cubic inches. It's bore and stroke are 4.125 x 4.0, which is identical to a GM LS7
What surprises me is they switched to an Aluminum block. The 707 HP Hellcat has an Iron block.

Last edited:
if i remember right the first year 1964, for the 426 hemi was a full tilt race engine. the street hemi 1966 was a little milder.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

I doubt any stock application trans would hold up to hot rod use. The trans would cost as much or more as the motor at those power levels.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/pit-stop-1000hp-capable-street-five-speed-manual-trans/

Here ya go. Not as expensive as the engine is likely to be. Even after purchasing the bellhousing and clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back