Ford 2.3 EB's using 87 vs 91/93 octane

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not scientific, just real life observations. We have a 2017 2.3 Ecoboost Explorer and live in NJ. It's recommended MINIMUM fuel octane level is 87. HOWEVER to get the most POWER it's recommended to use 91 or higher. The first year of use we used 93, the only premium on the East Coast. As far as mpg we got ~1-2 mpg better with the 93 vs using 87 later on. The 93 did give better power when passing on the highway, not a lot though. My unscientific observation for the $0.50-60 more per gallon for premium is it's not really worth it in a non performance vehicle. My UOA's don't show significant fuel dilution differences using 87 vs 93, considering the seasonally different driving conditions. This is just my real life observations, other members may have different experiences. I welcome their experiences.

Whimsey

You've discussed this before here. Our Edge with the EB 2.0 comes alive with 93 octane. I have run it on 87 for day to day driving. I have never checked the mileage. Especially in hotter weather the Edge loves 93 octane from Costco. The difference is obvious as soon as you pull out of the drive way.

I can run 87 octane non ethanol and get the same mpg as 93 octane E10. I am currently running 93 octane non ethanol and there is very little difference in mpg using either grade of non ethanol gas. BTUs is the key.

My parents did various calculations in their 2013 2.0 EB Escape. Running 91 or 93 octane gas is cheaper than running 87. For their daily driving needs. We're not talking huge savings, but it is slightly cheaper -- as in dollars per 10k miles, to use higher octane

Different vehicle, but same idea. My 2016 F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost recommends 87 octane under normal use(and is what the rated hp and torque numbers are delivered with). However, for heavy towing and maximum performance, the use of 91 octane or higher is recommended.

I monitor the Octane Adjustment Ratio (OAR) which is the parameter that is used to adjust the power delivery from the engine based on the octane of the fuel (as measured indirectly via engine knock. etc...) -1.0 is fully adjusted for higher power, and 1.0 is fully retarded power. The worst I've ever had reported is around 0.3 running E10, 87 octane gasoline. I've seen as high as -0.7 running 91 octane (E10 in this case). I've only ever found 93 octane once (at a BP here), and interestingly it did not deliver an OAR higher than -0.5, when I can get -0.7 using Shell or Superamerica Premium 91 octane E10.

I've netted no bump in fuel mileage using premium, except when the premium is E0 (and that is usually even more expensive around here than E10). Power by seat of the pants is higher, but that is unscientific.

Different vehicle, but same idea. My 2016 F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost recommends 87 octane under normal use(and is what the rated hp and torque numbers are delivered with). However, for heavy towing and maximum performance, the use of 91 octane or higher is recommended.

I monitor the Octane Adjustment Ratio (OAR) which is the parameter that is used to adjust the power delivery from the engine based on the octane of the fuel (as measured indirectly via engine knock. etc...) -1.0 is fully adjusted for higher power, and 1.0 is fully retarded power. The worst I've ever had reported is around 0.3 running E10, 87 octane gasoline. I've seen as high as -0.7 running 91 octane (E10 in this case). I've only ever found 93 octane once (at a BP here), and interestingly it did not deliver an OAR higher than -0.5, when I can get -0.7 using Shell or Superamerica Premium 91 octane E10.

I've netted no bump in fuel mileage using premium, except when the premium is E0 (and that is usually even more expensive around here than E10). Power by seat of the pants is higher, but that is unscientific.

my ecoboost in our escape gets 1-2 or more mpg better on mid grade here in canada,switching back and forth (the wife always forgets and puts in cheapest)it has always been true ,even our focus (non turbo) same .
I have never done the calculation if it was worth it money wise ,is it octane or lower ethanol ?

Last edited:
Different vehicle, but same idea. My 2016 F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost recommends 87 octane under normal use(and is what the rated hp and torque numbers are delivered with).

I question that. I have seen in Ford's own ads that the horsepower is rated using 93 octane while the MPG is rated using 87 octane E0.

Find the ad.

Hint: You won't.

There are several engines in the lineup that do state that premium is required to deliver the advertised hp. The F150's are not one of them.

Originally Posted by rshaw125
You've discussed this before here. Our Edge with the EB 2.0 comes alive with 93 octane. I have run it on 87 for day to day driving. I have never checked the mileage. Especially in hotter weather the Edge loves 93 octane from Costco. The difference is obvious as soon as you pull out of the drive way.

Sorry, I guess senility really has caught up to me
33.gif

I have a 2.7 EB Edge and it seems to respond a little better with 93. The owner's manual comes out and suggests using the higher octane in warmer weather. (I don't remember the exact quote).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back