Just got my first brand new small engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I had bad luck with the china plug that came in my Toro mower. The first engine that came with one stopped starting on the first or second pull half way thru the first summer. Pulled the plug and it had black soot all over it which tells me it wasn't a hot enough plug. Put in a NGK BPR6ES and no more hard starts. Last thing you want is a snowblower that becomes hard to start when it's cold out.
You make an interesting point. I have two Honda GCV160 machines and two Chonda powered machines, including a snow blower, and all take the BPR6ES or equivalent Iridium BPR6EIX. The cooler F7RTC doesn't seem to make sense for this application. Cooler plugs are used for higher compression or turbo boosted motors, which isn't the case here.

That being said, the OP should give this machine a serious workout with the factory plug, then inspect it before changing the heat range.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I had bad luck with the china plug that came in my Toro mower. The first engine that came with one stopped starting on the first or second pull half way thru the first summer. Pulled the plug and it had black soot all over it which tells me it wasn't a hot enough plug. Put in a NGK BPR6ES and no more hard starts. Last thing you want is a snowblower that becomes hard to start when it's cold out.
You make an interesting point. I have two Honda GCV160 machines and two Chonda powered machines, including a snow blower, and all take the BPR6ES or equivalent Iridium BPR6EIX. The cooler F7RTC doesn't seem to make sense for this application. Cooler plugs are used for higher compression or turbo boosted motors, which isn't the case here.

That being said, the OP should give this machine a serious workout with the factory plug, then inspect it before changing the heat range.

Long story short here, I've been thru 3 new Toro TXP engines in the last three years due to warranty issues with gas tanks leaking. The first two were engines from 2014, the manual called for NGK BPR6ES but the third one was on a whole new 2017 mower and the manual calls for a NGK BPR7ES, not sure why the cooler plug for the same engine but it ran fine all summer using the cooler plug and looked normal when I checked a couple weeks ago, no soot at all.

Long story short here, I've been thru 3 new Toro TXP engines in the last three years due to warranty issues with gas tanks leaking. The first two were engines from 2014, the manual called for NGK BPR6ES but the third one was on a whole new 2017 mower and the manual calls for a NGK BPR7ES, not sure why the cooler plug for the same engine but it ran fine all summer using the cooler plug and looked normal when I checked a couple weeks ago, no soot at all.
Short story here: I replaced the plug on my Honda push mower this Spring. The manual said it was a BPR6ES, but a factory original BPR5ES came out. I didn't give it much thought, and put in the Iridium BPR6EIX equivalent of what the manual called for.

Fast forward to last weekend, chopping the leaves at 45 degrees. It took five pulls to start the motor, and then it needed full choke for about a minute. These are short runs chopping up stuff blown into rows using my riding mower. It seemed to be okay after that, starting on a single pull while warm. Then a lunch break. Hard starting on the first go again, but normal running after that. I am thinking of putting the hotter BPR5EIX in this machine. Either that or put the original BPR5ES back in for now. Any thoughts?

Short story here: I replaced the plug on my Honda push mower this Spring. The manual said it was a BPR6ES, but a factory original BPR5ES came out. I didn't give it much thought, and put in the Iridium BPR6EIX equivalent of what the manual called for.

Fast forward to last weekend, chopping the leaves at 45 degrees. It took five pulls to start the motor, and then it needed full choke for about a minute. These are short runs chopping up stuff blown into rows using my riding mower. It seemed to be okay after that, starting on a single pull while warm. Then a lunch break. Hard starting on the first go again, but normal running after that. I am thinking of putting the hotter BPR5EIX in this machine. Either that or put the original BPR5ES back in for now. Any thoughts?

Astro_Guy. I have a brand new Honda mower with the NGK BPR5ES plug (same in manual). I can tell you that it didn't take the usual 1 pull start I had in the summer. When it got colder, it
would take about 3 pulls to start. My Son in Law experienced the same with his Troy-Bilt (same engine). Now maybe it has to do with auto choke and not the plug.

Originally Posted by 2KBMW
Astro_Guy. I have a brand new Honda mower with the NGK BPR5ES plug (same in manual). I can tell you that it didn't take the usual 1 pull start I had in the summer. When it got colder, it
would take about 3 pulls to start. My Son in Law experienced the same with his Troy-Bilt (same engine). Now maybe it has to do with auto choke and not the plug.
Multiple pulls to start when pretty cold isn't unexpected, but having to run it in the "start" position for upwards of a minute was definitely something new.

Originally Posted by 2KBMW
Multiple pulls to start when pretty cold isn't unexpected, but having to run it in the "start" position for upwards of a minute was definitely something new.
Replaced the BPR6EIX with the hotter BPR5EIX just before Thanksgiving. Did some leaf chopping last weekend with the temperature in the mid 30s. Did not need full choke to keep it running after only a few seconds. The hotter plug definitely helped. At this point I now have NGK Iridium plugs in all of the OPE having OHV engines. All are running well, but the Ariens snow blower with 254cc LCT engine shows the most obvious improvement in terms of both starting and running. That machine had a Chinese Torch brand copper plug in it - need I say more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back