Are there any new sedans capable of 300k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNG

Looking at buying a new sedan for the wife. A lot has changed since we last bought a vehicle in 2008. Her car is a 99 Olds 88 with 200,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. The power train is OK, it's the rest of the car that is falling apart due to age. We keep vehicles at for at LEAST 100,000 miles. Usually until the car falls apart around the power train. What I'm finding leads me to believe cars have become almost disposable. As long as it makes it through the warranty period, the manufacturer and dealer could care less. Coupled with what I consider to be silly engine oil specs for CAFE purposes only. Not long term durability.

Here is what I need to find, a mid size sedan with an automatic transmission that gets decent fuel economy in a design that lends itself to long term reliability/durability. I have been looking at the base model 2019 Camry, Sonata, Legacy, and Fusion. The Accord did not make the list due to the CVT transmission. I have concerns about the Camry's new engine (for 2018) and the 0w-16 oil requirements. The 2.4l Sonata could still have engine failure issues. The Legacy has a CVT transmission and the oil leaks and head gasket issues that occur from time to time. The Fusions 2.5l engine supposedly is bulletproof but has had issues with it's transmission.

I realize there is not a perfect car but it would be nice to find a model that would be trouble free for the first 100,000 and be capable of exceeding 200,000 even approaching the 300,000 mark with good maintenance. Am asking for too much from new cars these days? Her Olds power train likely has 250,000 miles in it, sadly I don't know if the rest of the car will do it.

Your post reads like car dependability has been on the decrease, when quite the opposite is true.

Most cars will do 200,000 with basic maintenance.
Well, except for FCA.....

Pick a car, follow the maintenance plan, stay away from FCA.
See you in 10 years....

Slam dunk...Camry, plus it's a good looking car. Ignore the oil spec for a 5/30.

btw: welcome, always nice to have another CAFE aware poster.

I'd still shoot for the Camry 4 cyl. I believe the 0W16 oils will be very well designed.

>200 hp and 40 mpg(hiwy)
Has an 8 spd conventional auto made by Aisin
The new 2.5L is both port & direct injection
Toyota's seem to take longer to start rusting(Krown or Rust Check could make it last forever).
This is now on the new TNGA platform

Wait til 2020 to get all the bugs out and get the base LE and run it forever. Or buy one used and run it forever anyway.

Driving thru Chicago you can't help but notice cabs have changed to Camry's or Rav4's, next national news where they're shooting in a large urban city notice the same has developed...this speaks volumes to feasibility of maintaining these Toyotas from 300k to 999k and beyond.

Last edited:
I'd stay clear of anything with a CVT transmission if I were you.
27.gif

Trying to find basically a "low tech" engine and transmission for durability is getting harder every new model year. As far as a GM recommendation there is not much I can offer with a for certain 300k mile life. Most GM sedans have either the 3.6 or the 2.0T. I would probably go with the Impala with a 3.6. That motor in it's latest configuration (timing chain issues were 2008-2010) is pretty stout as long as you maintain it properly with good clean oil changed often and clean the intake with intake valve cleaner every oil change. I have a 2008 CTS with the 3.6DI and has 166k miles and they have been trouble free miles except the timing chain warranty repairs at 44k miles. So I've gone over 120k miles and no new timing issues.

Other than that, the Camry is a good choice as mentioned above. I don't see why the hate for the FCA models....the 3.6 Pentastar is a wonderful motor as is the Hemi. I have a Pentastar 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 with 96k trouble free miles and a Hemi Ram with 42k trouble free miles. They are not bad vehicles.

You make the mistaken assumption that "manufacturer's don't care as long as they make it through the warranty period". Do you honestly think Toyota got to where it is at today with that kind of thinking? A cars reputation hinges on it's quality AND longevity and no manufacturer stays relevant if they ignore that (think GM, 1990's and intake manifold gaskets). They all fried AFTER the warranty period around 105k miles.....and people never forgave them (well some did) but in general, many did not.

You also make the assumption that CVT = bad. I don't necessarily agree. Automatics are no slough in the "I suck department".

Finally the thin oil thing comes up again. As I recall, the studies I have seen say most engine wear occurs in the first 10 seconds, especially in cold climates like where I live. So again, are you making an incorrect assumption? Thin oil helps for cold starts....period.

Just saying...

Last edited:
Camry is built like a brick outhouse and the Fusion is amazing too.

Camry's 2AR-FE was the 2AZ-FE which I had in an 02, brought to 243k (with a stick shift) and sold b/c I was bored of it.

Both cars have a clean, well engineered undercarriage and are a pleasure to work on. Even if you're not doing the work, it helps your mechanic fix it right the first time at a reasonable price.

I see many FCA minivans in cab service throughout the states. I personally know of probably a dozen FCA vehicles with hemis that have surpassed 200k miles. I also know of a couple Subarus that have had engine replacements within their first year. 3.0 liter Toyota V6 engines usually require head gaskets between 100-150k Miles etc etc.... Making a blanket statement over a manufacturers whole line of vehicles is ignorant in todays market place. I believe most new vehicles if driven conservatively and given proper maintenance will achieve that 200k miles desired.

Toyota, or any other if you do a lot of maintenance and repair ($$). The use of plastics and electronics are the downfall of the latest bunch. The US auto industry is in trouble and they know it. They want you to buy a new one every 5 years so the warranty period is all they try for now. Just like jiffy lube and their 3 mos oil changes.

Mazdas still have a real transmission in them.

Im blown away how much car my kid just bought for 20K with the mazda 3.

UD

This isn't criticism but observation. If driving 12 K per year it takes 25 years to go 300k. How old are you? Unless for work commuting I don't understand why many people want to spend a lot of time going to other places in their little machines on wheels. Sitting in the rolling machine in a seat on a road all that time. In my case if I bought a car at 16 and died at 96 it would have about 320K on it. It's interesting that some people seem to sort of brag about how many miles they drive, as if it's better. Not pertaining to OP at all, just observation. Another way to keep a car newer is to drive it less.

+ 4 on the Camry.
The 2018-19 2.5L 4-cyl engine is not new, neither is the 3.5L V/6 engine, they is just have revised fuel injection systems using both direct AND port injection, revised VVT, and a higher compression ratio (but doesn't require higher octane gas).
The direct injection in the new design runs very lean and should not cause fuel dilution (or cylinder washing). The port injection will keep the intake valves clean. These are the two primary problems that using only direct injection have caused with some engines. Notice how long it took for Toyota to come out with DI on their mass market vehicles? It is because of the problems. They saw the problems themselves on the low production Lexus models that have DI. Toyota is a VERY cautious manufacturer and is obsessed with their reputation for reliability, durability, and longevity OUT OF WARRANTY.
If you don't like using 0w-20 oil in it, just use 5w-20, 0w-30, or 5w-30, it will be fine with any of them. Toyota engines are not fussy. Not having a turbocharger helps a lot in this regard.
Longevity? Toyotas are known for hitting 300k miles, I have done it myself. IMO, in this size class, I don't think that there is another brand/model of car that will hit 300k miles without having to spend a LOT of money to keep it on the road that long.

Accord Sport. Nothing wrong with their CVT transmission.
Or the 2.0 engine with the 10 speed transmission.

Or you can spend more and buy Acura/Lexus.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
This isn't criticism but observation. If driving 12 K per year it takes 25 years to go 300k. How old are you? Unless for work commuting I don't understand why many people want to spend a lot of time going to other places in their little machines on wheels. Sitting in the rolling machine in a seat on a road all that time. In my case if I bought a car at 16 and died at 96 it would have about 320K on it. It's interesting that some people seem to sort of brag about how many miles they drive, as if it's better. Not pertaining to OP at all, just observation. Another way to keep a car newer is to drive it less.

I'm in my mid 40's. I wish we only put 12k on our vehicles each year. We currently own 3 vehicles. I put roughly 5,000 on the 08 GMC last year. I also put roughly 13,000 miles on the 90 Buick. She put roughly 20,000 miles on the 99 Olds. And this was after we made a concerted effort NOT to drive more than needed and to combine trips even when really inconvenient. I don't know where you live but folks in urban areas drive a lot less than us folks in rural areas. And for what it's worth I hate driving.

Originally Posted by philipp10
You make the mistaken assumption that "manufacturer's don't care as long as they make it through the warranty period". Do you honestly think Toyota got to where it is at today with that kind of thinking? A cars reputation hinges on it's quality AND longevity and no manufacturer stays relevant if they ignore that (think GM, 1990's and intake manifold gaskets). They all fried AFTER the warranty period around 105k miles.....and people never forgave them (well some did) but in general, many did not.

You also make the assumption that CVT = bad. I don't necessarily agree. Automatics are no slough in the "I suck department".

Finally the thin oil thing comes up again. As I recall, the studies I have seen say most engine wear occurs in the first 10 seconds, especially in cold climates like where I live. So again, are you making an incorrect assumption? Thin oil helps for cold starts....period.

Just saying...

Let me rephrase my original statement. Consumers and the FED has forced manufacturers to make changes to their models that may not be in the best interest for long term durability. I also believe that manufacturers don't care as much about durability as they once did as long as the EPA is happy and the vehicles are trouble free enough that when the owners trade the vehicle in when the original warranty expires they stick with that manufacturer for a new model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back