No collision totaled vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
In laws parked vehicles were heavily damaged and totaled by a commercial 1 ton truck hit and run. Driver tracked has history of DUIs x 3 but valid license. My FIL carries collision, MIL not on a 200k 2006 Saturn VUE base FWD.

Anyone have an idea how long it takes typically for an other party insurance company (at fault) to make offer and write check? The only concession thus far from at faultparty ismy FIL got a rental(no rental coverage) after 4 days no vehicles. His truck towed is in queue at body shop.

Last edited:
Don't take the first offer. If the other person's insurance company accepts fault in your accident, they will normally pay a standard amount to have your car repaired. Unfortunately, insurance companies often take days or weeks to decide whether to accept fault in the accident. Therefore, your car may not be repaired in a timely manner.

Last edited:
Always fight their offers, find recently completed listings on ebay or similar to determine what the actual value is for your car in your area, and use that as a guide. Do Not go by Kbb or NADA values, they have been bought out and are manipulated in the companies favor.

Originally Posted by Boomer
Always!!!! go through your own insurance company, not the perpetrator's!

I agree with this, your company should be a lot better at fighting their own kind than you would be.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

I agree with this, your company should be a lot better at fighting their own kind than you would be.

Yeah this. I carry liability only but my policy (eg contract) says I have to report all accidents. They want my side of the story before the drunk DUI guy shows up out of the blue suing for emotional damage.

That said they are also there to help you. If you have uninsured motorist they may even pay you but you have a strong enough case this should go relatively easy without your rates going up.

The other good news is there's no possibility of personal injury on your part so you don't have to worry about the disclaimer on back of the claim check signing away your rights.

Call your insurance agent, they should have your best interests in mind. If they are like any of the ones I have dealt with they will jump at the chance to get the other persons coverage to pay for your loss. Here in MI where we have no fault, a parked vehicle thats damaged is the responsibility of the person that damaged it (assuming you know who they are)

But their car isn't covered by collision.

Better call Dexter! I wish your family the best. At least the person has insurance. 1/3 don't. Although this varies from state to state.

Originally Posted by Leo99

But their car isn't covered by collision.

Even if it isn't, EG the Vue, the insurance will 1) want to know 2) be somewhat helpful in navigating the at-fault insurer's drama. Assuming OP has both vehicles through the same insurer he has a claim on one of them anyway.

In my experience, the other party insurance usually drag their feet in settling unless you bug them.
That is why sometimes a lawyer can help better but that means there is less money at settlement, if any.
So, if they don't mind waiting and making calls themselves every day or every other day, then waiting is the only thing.

Your insurance company would be the one collecting from the at fault party. It doesnt matter if you do not have collision since not at fault is covered by guilty parties insurance. Their job to let you have it fixed while they claim with ins company of other driver.

It is possible their own insurance is chasing them for the check for the Saturn. My FIL has collision so his insurance company is taking care of body repairs/rental on his truck and likely collecting from the other party insurance. They are simply confused who is dealing with Saturn check but they seem to miss details.

Collision may not appear terrible but window broken, door won't open, hatch won't close(popped during hit), and every panel is slightly tweaked or broken:

My FIL is a master of working insurance companies though for home repairs. I think he has already gotten about $900+ in estimates repairs to home for debris cleanup, some damage to railings and corner where is truck is pressed into. He'll DIY it all and already has supplies leftover.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Don't forget about the money lost for tags/title and all those other pesky fees that were lost as well.

It worked out!!! $3600 check for a 2006 Saturn VUE base 4cyl FWD with 200k miles.

Totally junk pile now but she got for $6500 in 2012 with 40k.

I've had a couple vehicles totaled, I've always found the offers to be fair. Glad it worked out.

Was there any damage to their house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back